Riemannian Geometry

by JasonJo
Tags: geometry, riemannian
JasonJo
Nov27-08, 08:58 PM
P: 431
Hey folks,

Is it generally true that for US Math PhD programs, Riemannian geometry is a 2nd year grad course? I was looking at JHU, one of the PhD programs I will be applying to, and they don't require you take any prereq grad courses. And the cirriculum seems to be the standard RG cirriculum: metrics, Jacobi fields, curvature, sectional curvature, Hopf-Rinow, etc.

Some schools require that your first year of grad school is essentially Algebra I, II, Analysis I, II and Topology (with a mix of Geometry via differential forms, deRham cohomology, differentiable manifold, vector fields, tensors, lie derivatives, and so on) I and II.

What are your experiences with this? I don't see why it would be a first year course as not all students are going to be pursuing RG in graduate school anyway while all grad students should know basic grad level analysis, algebra and topology/geometry.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered

Register to reply