Practical - Stress-Strain graph of an elastic band

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps and concerns surrounding a practical exercise involving plotting a stress-strain graph for an elastic band. The individual is seeking clarification on how to calculate the stress, specifically in regards to the changing cross-sectional area of the band. A potential solution is suggested, which involves measuring the change in width of the band and modeling it as a linear change in cross-sectional area. It is noted that if the change in width is small, it can be ignored.
JanineSamson

Homework Statement

Hi,

I have a practical to do soon, it's only a basic thing because we've only been doing physics for just over a month - plotting a stress-strain graph for an elastic band...

2. The attempt at a solution

Now, I was just going to measure the original length of the band & add weights each time measuring the extension so the Force being the independant variable and the extension being the independant one.

Problem is, when it comes to working out the stress what do I use for the cross-sectional area? As it's stretching the cross-sectional area on a rubber band would probably change quite a lot, how do you deal with this? Or would you just mention that in the write up as a "source of error" and use the initial area before you started stretching it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first practical so I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a link that touches a bit on your concerns:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson's_ratio#Volumetric_change

Since you mention an elastic band, then I would say that you can determine observationally the change in width between extremes and model that as a linear change in cross-sectional area across the range of applied forces. If it exhibits only small change over the range then you can surely ignore it.

I would suggest using the initial cross-sectional area of the elastic band before any stretching occurs as the cross-sectional area for calculating stress. This is because the cross-sectional area of the band will indeed change as it is stretched, making it difficult to accurately measure and calculate. However, it is important to mention this as a potential source of error in your write-up. Additionally, it would be beneficial to take multiple measurements and calculate an average cross-sectional area to improve the accuracy of your results. Overall, the most important thing is to carefully document your methods and any potential sources of error in your experimental design. Good luck with your first practical!

What is a stress-strain graph?

A stress-strain graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between the stress applied to a material and the resulting strain or deformation of the material. It is used to understand the mechanical properties of a material, such as its elasticity, stiffness, and strength.

What is an elastic band?

An elastic band is a thin, stretchable strip of rubber or other material that can be used to hold objects together or provide tension in various applications. It is commonly used in clothing, office supplies, and medical devices.

How is a stress-strain graph of an elastic band created?

To create a stress-strain graph of an elastic band, the band is typically stretched with increasing amounts of force and the resulting strain is measured. This data is then plotted on a graph, with stress on the y-axis and strain on the x-axis. The resulting curve is typically nonlinear, with an initial linear region representing the elastic behavior of the band and a later nonlinear region representing its plastic behavior.

What information can be obtained from a stress-strain graph of an elastic band?

A stress-strain graph of an elastic band can provide information about its mechanical properties, such as its elastic modulus (stiffness), yield strength, and ultimate strength. It can also show the band's ability to withstand stress and deformation before breaking or permanently deforming.

Why is understanding the stress-strain graph of an elastic band important?

Understanding the stress-strain graph of an elastic band is important for various reasons. It can help in the design and selection of materials for different applications, as well as predicting and preventing failure or damage of the band. It can also provide insight into the behavior of other materials with similar properties, such as other types of rubber or polymers.