Share this thread:
Gokul43201
May26-04, 10:44 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Give yourself a minute or two to solve this :

You have 2 boxes and 20 balls, 10 black and 10 white. How would you distribute the balls in the boxes (any number in each box so long as the total is 20) to maximize the odds of picking 2 whites on a random selection of 1 ball from each box ?

i.e: how many blacks and whites in each box ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
jcsd
May26-04, 10:53 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,226
Well to get the largets chance you want to maximize the numerator and minimize thedenominator of the fraction.

So I guess 5 white and 10 black in one box and 5 white in the other box.
jcsd
May26-04, 10:57 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,226
Actually it'd be better to but 1 white in one box and the rest of the balls in the other I think.

Gokul43201
May26-04, 11:29 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
You have 2 boxes and 20 balls riddle

I think so too...

There's a common trap that a lot of people fall into. Here's the argument I've heard most commonly (including out of my own head). All balls in Box 1 or all balls in Box 2 gives you a zero chance of success. The problem is symmetric w.r.t the boxes, and starting from one of the above extremum cases, and moving balls into the empty box can only improve your odds. So the best odds will the found at the midpoint, i.e : 5 black and 5 white balls in each box.

The "apparent" similarity with problems like maximising entropy in a 2-chamber system, or finding the rectangle of largest area for given perimeter leads to the taking of the bait quite happily

Register to reply