Why are federal holidays skewed?

by Loren Booda
Tags: federal, holidays, skewed
Loren Booda
Dec9-08, 11:37 PM
P: 3,408
Do you think our Federal Holidays in the U.S., with 2 during the half-year from March through August, and 8 during that from September through February, could be more effectively timed?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Proton Soup
Dec10-08, 12:19 AM
P: 1,070
employees probably plan vacation time in the summer when their children are out of school. so naturally, they'd want their holidays at another time.
D H
Dec10-08, 04:55 AM
Mentor
P: 14,476
That spate of holidays between Labor Day and Christmas is kinda nice, for me. My employer lets us work on holidays (with permission) and take the holiday at a later date (within three months). For some reason people almost inevitably take those "banked" holidays somewhere between December 20 and 30.

Jimmy Snyder
Dec10-08, 06:21 AM
P: 2,163

Why are federal holidays skewed?

Have you noticed that most holidays fall on a Monday or a Friday. Far too many to be coincidence alone.
BobG
Dec10-08, 09:34 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
Quote Quote by Loren Booda View Post
Do you think our Federal Holidays in the U.S., with 2 during the half-year from March through August, and 8 during that from September through February, could be more effectively timed?
It's even more skewed than you think. You have fewer days between the autumnal equinox and vernal equinox than you do between the vernal equinox and the autumnal equinox, yet you have more holidays.

I'm all for more time off in the Summer (I'm also for going to double dog daylight savings time from June 1 to Sep 1, where the clocks are advanced two hours past standard time.)
Evo
Dec10-08, 09:37 AM
Mentor
P: 25,961
So, should we move Christmas or New Years Day to June?

Register to reply