More on inductors

by powzoom
Tags: inductors
powzoom
Dec18-08, 05:17 PM
P: 3
I'm looking to buy some inductors, axial or radial ones. What I need to know is the difference between measured dc current and ac current. Modeled in multisim, the max dc current through the inductor is about 1mA but the max ac current approaches 1A. I know inductors have max current values, so do I use the 1mA or the 1A to decide which one to buy?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
berkeman
Dec19-08, 03:12 PM
Mentor
P: 39,638
Quote Quote by powzoom View Post
I'm looking to buy some inductors, axial or radial ones. What I need to know is the difference between measured dc current and ac current. Modeled in multisim, the max dc current through the inductor is about 1mA but the max ac current approaches 1A. I know inductors have max current values, so do I use the 1mA or the 1A to decide which one to buy?
You generally want to keep your inductors out of saturation, both for DC and AC. So use the bigger number.
LURCH
Dec19-08, 04:45 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,507
Ooops! I thought this thread was about "moron inducters."

*Quietly slips out*

berkeman
Dec19-08, 06:18 PM
Mentor
P: 39,638

More on inductors

Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
You generally want to keep your inductors out of saturation, both for DC and AC. So use the bigger number.
I need to clarify this a bit (thank you to user Phrak for the tip)...

To keep the inductor from saturating, you need to size it to handle the biggest PEAK current that it will experience in operation. That may be a combination of the AC and DC currents, depending on their relative sizes and offsets.

Looks like I was the inductor moron....

Register to reply