Conservation of momentum problem with a bullet and stationary block

In summary, the problem involves a bullet with a mass of 6.00 g and initial speed of 896m/s being fired through a 1.25 kg block of wood on a frictionless surface. The bullet exits the block with a speed of 435 m/s. To find the speed of the block after the bullet passes through it, the conservation of momentum equation is used, resulting in the velocity of the block being 2.21 m/s. The final answer should be rounded to 3 significant figures.
seanmcgowan

Homework Statement

A bullet with a mass of 6.00 g is fired through a 1.25 kg block of wood on a frictionless surface. The initial speed of the bullet is 896m/s, and the speed of the bullet after it exists the block is 435 m/s. At what speed does the block move after the bullet passes through it?

Homework Equations

I think I have the corect momentum, but the answer for the acceleration of the block seems a bit too easy. Is it right, or am I way off?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew a free body digram. The diagram has the bullet on the left, with its velocity and mass (Mass=.006 Kg Velocity=896 m/s), and the stationary block of wood with its mass and velocity (Mass=1.25 Kg Velocity=0 m/s) .

Since this is a collision problem, I figured I should find the momentum using the formula Mass*Velocity=Momentum. So, for the bullet... .006 Kg * 896m/s= 5.376 Kg*m/s (initial momentum) and... .006 Kg * 435 m/s= 2.610 (final momentum). For the block of wood... 1.25 Kg * 0 m/s= 0 Kg*m/s (Initial momentum) and... 1.25 Kg * 461 m/s (the difference of the bullet's Initial and Final velocities)= 576 Kg * m/s

I realize this is momentum not the block's velocity. I'm not sure what else to do because the only other logical answer is 896-435= 461 m/s and that just seems way to easy for a physics problem. Or am I over thinking this?

Physics news on Phys.org
seanmcgowan said:
Since this is a collision problem, I figured I should find the momentum using the formula Mass*Velocity=Momentum. So, for the bullet... .006 Kg * 896m/s= 5.376 Kg*m/s (initial momentum) and... .006 Kg * 435 m/s= 2.610 (final momentum).
This is good.
For the block of wood... 1.25 Kg * 0 m/s= 0 Kg*m/s (Initial momentum) and... 1.25 Kg * 461 m/s (the difference of the bullet's Initial and Final velocities)= 576 Kg * m/s
That last step isn't correct. Why would you multiply the change in the bullet's velocity by the mass of the block?

Instead, set up a conservation of momentum equation:
Intial momentum (of bullet and block) = Final momentum (of bullet and block)

Initially, you just have the bullet moving; After the collision, the bullet and the block move. Set up the equation and solve for the speed of the block.

So your saying that what I shoud do is this:

5.367+0=2.610+x
5.367=2.610+x
2.757 Kg*m/s=x

Where X equals the blocks momentum.

2.206(Kg*m/s)/1.25(Kg)=
2.2056m/s.

Using significant figures it would be 2.206.

Or am I still wrong?

seanmcgowan said:
So your saying that what I shoud do is this:

5.367+0=2.610+x
5.367=2.610+x
2.757 Kg*m/s=x

Where X equals the blocks momentum.

2.206(Kg*m/s)/1.25(Kg)=
2.2056m/s.

Using significant figures it would be 2.206.

Or am I still wrong?
Your method is exactly correct. Two small problems:
(1) Check the digits that I highlighted; you have them transposed. (Fix that and redo the calculation.)
(2) Your final answer should be rounded to 3 significant figures, since your data is only given to 3 digits.

1. How is conservation of momentum relevant to this problem?

Conservation of momentum is relevant to this problem because it is a fundamental principle of physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this problem, the momentum of the bullet and the stationary block before and after the collision must be equal, according to this principle.

2. Can you explain the concept of momentum in this scenario?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In this scenario, the bullet has a certain mass and velocity before the collision, and the stationary block has a mass of zero and therefore zero velocity. After the collision, the bullet's mass and velocity may change, but the total momentum of the system (bullet + block) must remain constant.

3. How does the speed of the bullet affect the conservation of momentum in this problem?

The speed of the bullet directly affects the momentum of the system. The higher the speed of the bullet, the greater its momentum, and the greater the momentum transfer to the stationary block during the collision. However, as long as no external forces are acting on the system, the total momentum must remain constant.

4. What other factors may affect the conservation of momentum in this scenario?

Other factors that may affect the conservation of momentum in this scenario include the mass of the bullet, the mass of the block, and the angle at which the bullet collides with the block. These factors can change the distribution of momentum within the system, but the total momentum must remain the same.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to real-life situations?

The conservation of momentum applies to various real-life situations, such as collisions between objects, rocket launches, and even sports like billiards and baseball. It is a fundamental principle of physics that helps explain and predict the motion of objects in different scenarios, making it a crucial concept in the study of mechanics.