Exploring Acacia: Its Uses, Benefits, and Possible Risks

• Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date
In summary, the acacia tree is used in Barq's to give it a 'round' or 'rich' mouthfeel and to stabilize the foam. It is unique in the family of gums in that it does not appreciably affect viscosity even in higher concentrations.
jreelawg
I wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move it if you want.

I was reading the ingredients in my root beer, and I noticed the ingredient, acacia.

"The Ingredients:
Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose, caramel color, sodium benzoate (to protect taste), citric acid, caffeine, artificial and natural flavors, acacia."

http://www.rootbeerreviews.com/brews/barqs.php

I wondered what it was, and found that it is a tree, but also that the tree contains various naturally occurring drugs.

I was wondering what part of the acacia tree is in the soft drink, and why it is in there? How can a tree be listed as an ingredient?

"Methamphetamine occurs naturally in Acacia berlandieri and possibly Acacia rigidula, trees which grow in west Texas. Acacia trees contain numerous other psychoactive compounds (ex. amphetamine, mescaline, nicotine, DMT, ...[34]), but scientific papers specifically mentioning the presence of methamphetamine did not exist until 1997 and 1998.[35]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine

Nicotine, mescalin, meth, and DMT, all in one tree, amazing.

Anyways, is my root beer laced, or is acacia used for some other reason?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia#Uses

The seeds or "berries" are probably what is used. The relative content of the psychoactive compounds is different from one species to the next and they are generally found only in certain parts of the plant. Whether or not there are any of these compounds in the plants used to make Barq's I have no idea. I looked a bit and have not found anything stating what part of what plant is used.

Wow. Well I guess that explains my root beer addiction a few years ago.

"Barqs got bite" they said.

I found that out the hard way after drinking one late in the evening. At 3 AM I decided that it must have been loaded with caffeine. Root beer is not supposed to be caffeinated.

Still hate them for that. Get "Mug" or A&W.

The acacia ingredient you are referring to is acacia gum. It gives a 'round' or 'rich' mouthfeel to the drink and stabilizes the foam. It is unique in the family of gums in that it does not appreciably affect viscosity even in higher concentrations.

Acacia = Polysaccharide

i used to drink Barq's when visiting relatives in MS back when i was a kid. it was pretty good back then. then it got wide distribution via coca-cola and something bad happened to it. I'm sure part of it was the industry-wide switch to HFCS instead of cane sugar (new coke, etc.). now barq's is just another soft drink. last time i had an IBC though, they were still pretty good.

now what they oughta do is reintroduce sassafras root, liver cancer be damned.

No way Chi, Barqs is the best.

Barq's is definitely my favourite root beer.

I need to buy myself one of these trees.

I think root beer was originally a treatment for syphilis. At least Sasparilla was.

chemisttree said:
The acacia ingredient you are referring to is acacia gum. It gives a 'round' or 'rich' mouthfeel to the drink and stabilizes the foam. It is unique in the family of gums in that it does not appreciably affect viscosity even in higher concentrations.

Acacia = Polysaccharide

Speaking of viscosity... Anybody know where I might find a table of viscosities for different sodas?

1. What is Acacia and where is it found?

Acacia is a type of tree or shrub that belongs to the legume family and is native to tropical and subtropical regions around the world, including Africa, Australia, and parts of Asia and America.

2. What are the main uses of Acacia?

Acacia has a wide range of uses, including being used as a source of food, medicine, and materials. Its gum is used as a stabilizer and thickener in various foods and pharmaceuticals. The wood is used for furniture, construction, and fuel. Acacia leaves and bark have also been traditionally used for medicinal purposes.

3. What are the potential benefits of Acacia?

Acacia has been studied for its potential health benefits, such as its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It may also have potential in wound healing and as a treatment for digestive issues. Additionally, Acacia has been used in traditional medicine for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.

4. Are there any risks associated with Acacia?

In general, Acacia is considered safe for consumption and use. However, some people may have allergic reactions to Acacia gum or pollen. Additionally, excessive consumption of Acacia gum may lead to gastrointestinal discomfort or bloating.

5. How can Acacia be sustainably harvested?

Acacia can be sustainably harvested by using responsible and ethical practices, such as selective cutting and reforestation efforts. It is also important to ensure that the harvesting of Acacia does not harm the surrounding ecosystem or local communities. Certifications, such as Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification, can help ensure sustainable practices are being used.