Register to reply

Method of images with infinite, earthed, conducting plane

Share this thread:
watty
Dec24-08, 08:49 AM
P: 9
Hello guys,

I'm having some trouble getting my head around the method of images, partly due to confusing notes and things.

If I have a charge +q at a fixed point (0,0,a) above a conducting plane that is held at zero potential, it is said that the plane can be replaced with a charge of -q at (0,0,-a) as this solution satisfies the same boundary conditions (as per the uniqueness theorem).

How is it that the potential on the surface of the plane can be 0 but the electric field be described as q/(2pi x espilon_0 x a^2)?

I would have thought the potential be non-zero in the case of the mirror charge. Can the two charges not be thought of as a dipole? As in their field lines are both going in the same direction. Only if both charges were the +q or both -q would the potential, in my mind at least, be zero midway between them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

watty
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Mapping the optimal route between two quantum states
Spin-based electronics: New material successfully tested
Verifying the future of quantum computing
Doc Al
Dec24-08, 09:32 AM
Mentor
P: 41,325
Quote Quote by watty View Post
How is it that the potential on the surface of the plane can be 0 but the electric field be described as q/(2pi x espilon_0 x a^2)?
Note that this is the field immediately above the plane, due to the induced surface charge.

I would have thought the potential be non-zero in the case of the mirror charge. Can the two charges not be thought of as a dipole? As in their field lines are both going in the same direction.
Yes, the charge and the mirror charge form a dipole, and their field lines do go in the same direction at the plane.
Only if both charges were the +q or both -q would the potential, in my mind at least, be zero midway between them.
The potential midway between two like charges is not zero. Recall that potential is a scalar--the potential from each charge is the same, thus the potential midway is non-zero. (Only for unlike charges would the potential contributions cancel at the midway point.)

Here's a clear discussion of the method of image charges that might help you: Method of Images

Register to reply