Register to reply

Physics question-finding the magnitude of the electric field

Share this thread:
nba23
Dec27-08, 04:14 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A charged insulating ball of mass 7.0g with a uniform charge of 1.5mC hangs from a light thread inclined at an angle of 8 degrees to the vertical. Calculate the magnitude of the electric field.

2. Relevant equations
q=mg/e

e= Fe/q

3. The attempt at a solution
I tried to use e=mg/q and i kept getting the wrong answer. Im not sure how or if i should use the given angle.Im confused because i dont know which formula i need to use for this question.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Doc Al
Dec27-08, 04:57 PM
Mentor
P: 41,477
Quote Quote by nba23 View Post
I tried to use e=mg/q and i kept getting the wrong answer.
That would apply if the ball were suspended solely by the electric field, but its not--there's a string attached.
Im not sure how or if i should use the given angle.Im confused because i dont know which formula i need to use for this question.
Which way does the field point? (I presume horizontally.)

What forces act on the ball? (Draw a diagram for yourself.) What must the net force be? Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal force components separately.

Register to reply