How to learn chemistry?

by theallknower
Tags: chemestry, how to, learn, learning
Share this thread:
kingdomof
Jan1-09, 09:28 PM
P: 97
Quote Quote by theallknower View Post
either way,I see the key-word for chemestry is "practical" and it isn't worth to consider all those details,and chemestry works even if you look at the atom as an undevided ball,at least at my level...
thanks a lot for posting...seems I've gatherd a lot of posts here:) any further comments are very welcomed
The key word for science, in general, is practical. The most simple answer is probably the correct one. When thinking about fluid dynamics, one does not consider quarks, and so on. I'm sure particle physicists do not consider many things (as to what, it's beyond my scope of knowledge, as I'm mainly a Biology person).

The best way to learn science is to look at how the science was done. Theory work distorts the vision of how science is founded. Theory and computation comes in after an observation is made. All calculations are not true values, and even those units which are described by the values are subjective, yet standardized.

I also suggest you attempt to download some real textbooks on some elementary calculus based Physics and Math. I also suggest you attempt to do the same for Chemistry and Biology. I cannot directly tell you how to get them, as it's sort of taboo to speak about. I'm sure its very easy to torrent from the many sites, however.
epenguin
Jan2-09, 09:40 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,965
Yes I had meant to say nothing is stopping you reading around, reading a book. Textbooks if you can manage them, but not necessarily textbooks though. There are plenty of non-textbooks or not-quite-textbooks or popular books about physics, I don't know of any about chemistry with what interests you in. (I make mental maps of the one I would write but I am stuck on the hydrogen atom right now! )

I am sorry you too are stuck, in what sounds like a concentration camp with guards and parading in the cold in silly pyjamas - is it in some remote Russian province that has not kept up with the times? It is an improvement these places now have internet at least.
Gokul43201
Jan2-09, 12:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by theallknower View Post
I like physics very much,and I'm shore I would enjoy chemestry as well(actualy I never understood why chemestry is not a subdivision of physics,like thermodynamics,or magnetism and electricity)
but I can't learn a thing via school chemestry...they require that I think of atoms as they were thought of in 1900's...full,undevided balls,ignoring a lot of things...I'm absolutley shore those quarcs do something...or further on,I'm shore those preons and haplons do something...so where should I start?
thanks in advance
Quarks do nothing for a chemical reaction. Haplons and/or preons do not exist (not according to the Standard Model, at least).

The place where you should start is a regular high school chemistry course (along with the regular high school math and physics courses). Since you admit you know very little about chemistry, you must agree that you are in no position to be objecting the the content of the course matter just yet.

Actually, even before that, you could start by paying some attention to how the word 'chemistry' is spelled!
Renge Ishyo
Jan2-09, 08:59 PM
P: 282
I am sorry you too are stuck, in what sounds like a concentration camp with guards and parading in the cold in silly pyjamas - is it in some remote Russian province that has not kept up with the times? It is an improvement these places now have internet at least.
That description sort of reminds me of a community college that I went to for a brief period of time. Fortunately, I didn't attend a chemistry course there.
theallknower
Jan3-09, 05:29 PM
P: 51
Quote Quote by kingdomof View Post
What country are you from? I'd love to give you some advice, but that advice is sort of location dependent.
thanks:) I'm from bucharest(romania) (in europe,with opening to the black sea,if it helps:) )
theallknower
Jan3-09, 05:43 PM
P: 51
Quote Quote by epenguin View Post
in romania,lol...in 1989 we shoot our "lider" and turned to democracy(from comunism) but it dosn't actualy make any diference,lol
@ the internet...I don't know...our principles are "deleting" informatics classes bit by bit,replacing them with SAM clases(a sort of high school for those who didn't got the exams...witch is quite hard to fail...you must be real stupid not to know how many minutes does 3 quarers of an hour have)learning stuff like how to be a waiter...still,they keep building state of the art informatics laboratories...(of course,they are never enough...we make practice programing on the board,in a dusty chamber while others learn biology in our labs:) )
oh,I forgot to mention about all those cameras(they are everywere...hallways,entrance,clases,courtyard...even in bathroms)
also,everyday a truk comes and deployes "special forces" guards,like on a violent football match...
so we are not quite low-tech,but all that tech is on mad hands:)

I remembered someone else's opinion...it was somethinh like "but where do you learn?in bagdad?"
but you're right...russian prison is closer to the truth:)
Renge Ishyo
Jan3-09, 11:53 PM
P: 282
Even jokes aren't safe on PF I suppose...

Well then, just trust me, chemistry is a fascinating subject if you get a chance to give it a real look at some point. A biologist armed with physics and chemistry would have the tools to make many exciting discoveries as we are going through a biological information revolution here at the moment. You can even show this post to the security guards if they need to be encouraged to let you pursue it (I know how much they love the idea of "revolution" over there in the east!).

Register to reply