Good examples of Physics in movies....

by 613theprince
Tags: examples, movies, physics
berkeman
Jan6-09, 01:02 PM
Mentor
P: 39,685
Quote Quote by mcknia07 View Post
Yeah, I'm way more dumb than you, but we can always help a friend in need, especially when it comes to Physics and movies, what a great mix.
Not always. Not when it would constitute cheating.

So it's okay to maybe post some movies for the OP to go check out, but try to avoid answering his project questions for him. Like, don't say, "This right here is a good example in this movie." Instead, say, "The movie _____ has some good things in it you might be able to use. What do you think those are and why?"
chaoseverlasting
Jan6-09, 01:30 PM
P: 1,017
The matrix? The bullet sequences depict shock waves effectively? Their use of an EMP?
nicholls.phys
May25-10, 02:22 PM
P: 1
Check out this site:

http://www.nicholls.edu/phsc/movies/

Chad
magpies
May25-10, 02:27 PM
P: 229
Contact seems like one that should go on the list.
JaWiB
May25-10, 05:02 PM
P: 289
Futurama has some good math and physics occasionally (probably mostly in the TV series, but maybe in the movies too) "Sweet Clyde, use variation of parameters and expand the Wronskian!"

There might be some decent physics in Serenity (at least I think the space scenes are completely silent)

I also remember in battlestar galactica they mentioned "relativistic speeds" at one point and implied something about time dilation...but again, a TV show, not a movie.
thack45
May25-10, 07:07 PM
P: 13
It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't say if it's "good" physics, but Donnie Darko was good.

Register to reply