Changing my startup screen

by Pattielli
Tags: screen, startup
Share this thread:
Pattielli
May31-04, 05:13 PM
P: 285
Have you ever tried this out before ?

I intended to do so, I tried to install the software that will be able to do the job, I clicked on it, and it asked me to choose the colors, backgound images I like but then i thought again that if i accepted to do that, would that be ok ?, i mean will I be able to get my original screen back ? i am really hesitating to do this...

Thank you very much,
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Chen
May31-04, 05:18 PM
P: 1,004
I'll assume you use Windows...... depending on its version, it should be possible to restore the original startup screen. Usually you would do this by backing up the original file that controls it and then restoring it later. I can't tell which file this is without knowing the exact operating system you use. It's also possible that the program you use to the change the startup screen includes an internal feature that allows you to resotre the startup screen easily, in which case you will not need to back up any files.
Pattielli
May31-04, 05:35 PM
Thank Chen alot,
I am using XP...

honestrosewater
Jun1-04, 08:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,330
Changing my startup screen

I also have XP.
I don't know what you installed??
You can change the look of your desktop by opening Control Panel-> Display.
On the first tab, "Themes", there is a menu that says, "My Current Theme" and a button next to it, "Save As..."
By pressing "Save As...", you can save all your current settings.
Perhaps you installed some extra options, like Wallpaper or Screensavers? More than what normally comes with XP?
Happy thoughts
Rachel
Pattielli
Jun2-04, 05:26 AM
No, that is not what i meant, i meant the startup screen when we power on our computer, usually you would see WindowsXP Home/Professional Edition, and this is what i would like to change, I don't like to see it anymore, so choosing something new and more funnie images to load up at runtime....<<<smiling>>>
honestrosewater
Jun2-04, 07:04 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,330
Ooooh, that makes sense :) Did you figure out how to save the original settings?

Well, in case you haven't, or someone else is interested, here's how to do it manually:

Quote Quote by theeldergeek.com
Disable the Windows XP Startup Screen
If you've ever wondered what goes on behind the Windows Startup Screen when your computer boots, this will disable the screen and allow you to see what's really happening.

Click [Start] and right click on [My Computer]
Select [Properties]
Select the [Advanced] tab
In the [Startup and Recovery] section, click [Settings]
In the [System Startup] section, click [Edit] to open the boot.ini file in Notepad
You will see a line that looks similar to the one below

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

To disable the Startup Screen change to line to read as below. The change is shown in red.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /sos
Note: There is a space between 'fastdetect' and '/sos'

Close Notepad, clicking [Yes] when Notepad asks if you want to save your changes.
Click [OK] [Apply] and [OK] to exit System Properties
Reboot computer and the Startup Screen will be gone.
Now, instead of making changes to the file, you can save it under a different name [Save As], close Notepad and the Properties window [Cancel] or [X].
When you want to restore the original settings, repeat the steps quoted above, until you arrive at Notepad. Then just paste your saved file back into Notepad and
Close Notepad, clicking [Yes] when Notepad asks if you want to save your changes.
Click [OK] [Apply] and [OK] to exit System Properties
Reboot computer and the Startup Screen will be restored
WARNING- I have only done part of this- it should work but an expert may want to check it.

Happy thoughts
Rachel
Pattielli
Jun2-04, 07:46 AM
Thank you very much, that is really nice!

Register to reply