Quantum gates

by Amith2006
Tags: gates, quantum
Share this thread:
Amith2006
Jan16-09, 06:36 AM
P: 421
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
With reference to a research paper on "Elementary gates for Quantum computation", I'm unable to understand certain concepts given in it. I am providing a link to this paper which is:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/p.../9503016v1.pdf
Lemma 5.1
For a unitary 2x2 matrix W, a [tex]\wedge[/tex][tex]_{1}[/tex](W) gate can be simulated by a network of the form,
where A,B and C belong to SU(2)(Lie group) , if and only if W belongs to SU(2).

Before getting into the problem, I would like to get familiar with the notations in it. They speak of simulation of general [tex]\wedge[/tex][tex]_{1}[/tex](W) gate. How do u read it?[tex]\wedge[/tex] is the boolean AND. In this Lemma are they trying to prove that any 2 bit gate can be simulated using 3 one bit gates and 2 CNOT gates provided det(W)=1? Also, the whole problem is divided into 2 parts namely the if part and the only if part. What is the logic behind this?

2. Relevant equations

A.B.C=I & A.X.B.X.C=W where X is a Pauli X matrix.

3. The attempt at a solution
I understand that it is a controlled unitary operation. We consider here 2 cases of applying first a 0 to the top bit and then a 1 to the top bit.There is no change in the output from the lower bit if the top bit is 0 as is the case for a controlled operation and hence A.B.C=I is applied otherwise A.X.B.X.C=W applied.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker

Register to reply