Finding the maximum power delivered from a baterry

by pentazoid
Tags: baterry, delivered, maximum, power
Share this thread:
pentazoid
Jan17-09, 11:33 AM
P: 185
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A battery of emf [insert symbol for emf here] and internal resistance is hooked up to a variable "load" resistance R. If you want to deliever the maximum possible power to the load, what resistance should you choose?(You can't change the emf and r, of course).

2. Relevant equations

P=I^2*R=V^2/R
Possibly V=[insert symbol for emf here]-Ir

3. The attempt at a solution

I think what I should do is differentiate the Power with respect to the variable load R and sint dP/dR =0

P=V^2/R=([insert symbol for emf here]-Ir)^2/R
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
tiny-tim
Jan17-09, 01:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Hi pentazoid!

(what's "sint"? )
Quote Quote by pentazoid View Post
I think what I should do is differentiate the Power with respect to the variable load R and sint dP/dR =0

Looks good!
pentazoid
Jan17-09, 06:15 PM
P: 185
[QUOTE=tiny-tim;2038446]Hi pentazoid!

(what's "sint"? )

sorry , I meant to say since. [quote]
Looks good!
seriously?

nrqed
Jan17-09, 11:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,887
Finding the maximum power delivered from a baterry

Quote Quote by pentazoid View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A battery of emf [insert symbol for emf here] and internal resistance is hooked up to a variable "load" resistance R. If you want to deliever the maximum possible power to the load, what resistance should you choose?(You can't change the emf and r, of course).

2. Relevant equations

P=I^2*R=V^2/R
Possibly V=[insert symbol for emf here]-Ir

3. The attempt at a solution

This is correct but the current I depends on R as well so this not yet in a useful form.

I think it's simpler to use [tex] P = R I^2 [/tex] with [tex] I = {\cal E} /(R+r) [/tex]. Now differentiate wrt R, set to zero and solve for R.
Marioqwe
Nov15-11, 10:44 PM
P: 69
Quote Quote by nrqed View Post
This is correct but the current I depends on R as well so this not yet in a useful form.

I think it's simpler to use [tex] P = R I^2 [/tex] with [tex] I = {\cal E} /(R+r) [/tex]. Now differentiate wrt R, set to zero and solve for R.
I'm trying to solve this problem but I'm having a hard time figuring out why I = (emf)/(r+R). Isn't V = emf when the conductivity is infinite? How is it infinite (or very big) in this case if the resistance is r.
cepheid
Nov15-11, 11:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,197
Quote Quote by Marioqwe View Post
I'm trying to solve this problem but I'm having a hard time figuring out why I = (emf)/(r+R). Isn't V = emf when the conductivity is infinite?
To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about.

Kirchoff's voltage law (KVL) says that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit has to equal zero (this is just the conservation of energy, when you think about it). In other words, the voltage drop across the two resistors has to be equal to the voltage across the battery terminals (which is just the emf). Everything is in series, so current through the circuit is the total voltage over the total resistance, hence I = ε/(r+R).

Register to reply