Register to reply

Optimization with maxima and minima

by electritron
Tags: maxima and minima, optimization
Share this thread:
electritron
Jan19-09, 11:33 AM
P: 4
A rectangle is to be inscribed in a right triangle having sides 6 inches, 8 inches, and 10 inches. Determine the dimensions of the rectangle with greatest area.

I recently tried doing it and the answer was found by finding the slope and then using the first and second derivatives of the area.
Now I would like to know how to solve this by using proportions.
So if there are any suggestions whatsoever, Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
epenguin
Jan20-09, 02:36 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,991
I confess I was not sure what is meant by a rectangle inscribed in...
Didi it mean a rectangle with base on the hypotenuse, or one with the same right angle as the right triangle?

After working out an answer for one I realised the answer would be the same for the other!

What is your answer?

You are given a classical 3, 4, 5 right triangle - but does your result really depend on that? As a fraction of the total area of the triangle can you state maximum area of inscribed rectangle in the most general fashion, i.e. for any right triangle?

I cannot think of how to do it by proportions, but if you consider the area of strip added on one side and subtracted on the other side as you move a corner of the rectangle I think you can get the result without formal differential calculus, indeed without having to consider the strips to be narrow.

Register to reply