The search for truth

by Preator Fenix
Tags: search, truth
Share this thread:
Mr. Robin Parsons
Jul23-03, 06:13 PM
P: 1,560
Originally posted by Preator Fenix
I would go by the reasoning that the great difficulty in truth is not in finding it but in being able to accept it for what it is.
Would agree with that, but finding it isn't always as simple as we would like, sorta, cause, lots of times you will not really be looking, and it will find you!

Plato asked; "What is God?"
Mr. Robin Parsons (thats me) answered; "The Truth!"
Jonathan
Aug2-03, 03:26 AM
P: 493
In the end the search for truth is definitly worth it. I believe the search for truth is the meaning of life. The sad thing is, no one will ever have the truth in this world, because it is easy to prove that it is impossible to prove anything without a few assumptions first. Once you've done that, it's impossible to prove the assumptions true. (This is vaguely related to Godel's incompleteness theorem.) Along these same lines, a TOE is also impossible. The axiom system used in a TOE would have to apply everything, even though it's easy to prove that in any axiom system there are unanwserable questions, and so there will always be two incomplete and mutually inconsistent theories describing the universe. It's the most fundamental paradox and the most fundamental truth.
Mr. Robin Parsons
Aug2-03, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by jonathan
(SNIP) The sad thing is, no one will ever have the truth in this world (SNoP)
Agreed, by qualifiable, inasmuch as, everyone will have truth in this world, just it will be there own personal truth and therefore un-knowable (at best 'semi-relatable') to 'others'.
Jonathan
Aug2-03, 12:00 PM
P: 493
There is only one truth. Personal truths are psuedotruths; my point is that we can't be sure which personal truth is closest or equal to the true truth.
Iacchus32
Aug2-03, 12:18 PM
P: 2,216
Truth is just "awareness" that comes about through consciousness. Even scientific discoveries don't become truths, unless someone has been made "aware" of them.

The truth is of "the moment" ... and now I ask is that we all meditate.
Mr. Robin Parsons
Aug3-03, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Jonathan
There is only one truth. Personal truths are psuedotruths; my point is that we can't be sure which personal truth is closest or equal to the true truth.
The use of the word "psuedotruth", perahps more like 'threads'(?) that, as we accumulate them, weave into a (sensorial) portrait, for ourselves only/exclusively/ideosyncratically of the greater "One Truth"

The only "moment" that has ever been is The Truth of it All, and it continues, meditate NOT!, on that one.
Iacchus32
Aug3-03, 04:37 PM
If you can "recognize" yourself in the moment, then you've acknowledged "the truth." The truth from which all other truths begin.
Mr. Robin Parsons
Aug3-03, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Iacchus32
If you can "recognize" yourself in the moment, then you've acknowledged "the truth." The truth from which all other truths begin.
Yes but, can you prove that?
Iacchus32
Aug3-03, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Yes but, can you prove that?
No, do you know why? Because the acknowledgment of truth is a "subjective experience." Ha!

Oh well, so much for the notion of an "objective reality!"
Mr. Robin Parsons
Aug4-03, 01:40 PM
No, do you know why? Because the acknowledgment of truth is a "subjective experience." Ha!
Oh well, so much for the notion of an "objective reality!"
CHEESE, ya seem a little full of yourself for thinking that you have discovered that which has been known for centuries, living is a subjective experience.

And the notion of "objective reality" remains, and works just fine under the auspices of what that is agreed upon as "being" by the persons employing it's use. OK?
Iacchus32
Aug4-03, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
CHEESE, ya seem a little full of yourself for thinking that you have discovered that which has been known for centuries, living is a subjective experience.
Why, does it taunt you that someone else may have gotten there before you?

And the notion of "objective reality" remains, and works just fine under the auspices of what that is agreed upon as "being" by the persons employing it's use. OK?
Are you sure? ... Well let me think about it, Okay?
Mr. Robin Parsons
Aug5-03, 11:27 AM
Why, does it taunt you that someone else may have gotten there before you?
Are you sure? ... Well let me think about it, Okay?
Where the heck do you read that from???

Originally posted by Moi, Mr. R. P.
Why would it "taunt me" that you are a 'little full of yourself'?
jammieg
Aug7-03, 08:30 PM
P: n/a
"The truth shall set you free"-?
Mr. Robin Parsons
Aug8-03, 12:25 PM
Amen!
radagast
Aug11-03, 08:51 AM
P: 460
I just wanted everyone to know that they can relax. It's been found. It turns out that it was in a box under my bed all this time. To think all those folks out there looking for truth and it was under my bed all along. If you want a peek at it, just come on over.
Another God
Aug12-03, 09:21 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,026
Originally posted by Royce
IMO There is Truth and truth. Truth (with a capital T) is a universal truth that is true everwhere and everywhen for everybody, an absolute truth. The other truth (with lower case t) is true here and now but may not be true everywhere,when nor for everybody. Truth and truth is for us to find and accept.
Maybe you mean:
Truth = Necessary truth
truth = contingent truth
But maybe you don't.

A necessary truth is a truth that must be true, no matter what universe, no matter what situation....but I don't think this is exactly what you mean, because the only real necessary truths are things that are true by definition (and tautological truths etc).

Contingent truth is a truth which 'Happens to be true'. It's not that it must, or that it is special or anything at all, other than it just so happens, in this case in question, that it is true. It is contingent. but I actually don't think this is what you are talking about either (although it is closer than not)

A lot of people want to talk about 'personal truths', and I too have been guilty of using this term myself, when in fact the real word for this is:Belief. Sometimes we substitute the word truth in over the top of belief to seperate the beliefs "Of which it would be perverse to deny the truth of", and the beliefs which don't have that degree of evidence behind them.

So maybe it is important to make that distinction of truth (the human acceptance of a more than likely belief actually being True) and Truth, things that actually are True, irrelevent of what anyone believes.

Do you think your version of 'truth' and 'Truth' is more appropriate than mine?
Another God
Aug12-03, 09:28 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,026
Originally posted by Jonathan
Truth = Objective
Humans = Subjective

Subjective = Experiential, phenomenological
Objective = Meaningless existence

Objective cannot be experienced, it can only be interpretted, meaning placed on it. Hence we use science to create truths for us, and that is all we will ever know.

Do not doubt that somewhere along the line, the Truth is the basis for our truths: We just need to figure out someday how well based our truths are on The Truth.
Iacchus32
Aug12-03, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Another God
Objective cannot be experienced, it can only be interpretted, meaning placed on it. Hence we use science to create truths for us, and that is all we will ever know.
How about the "truth of the matter," which is always true? Or else how could we possibly relate to it? -- "the fact" that we're consciously aware. And since when did we need science to determine that?

Register to reply