Register to reply

Fahrenheit 911 Trailer online now

by check
Tags: fahrenheit, trailer
Share this thread:
check
Jun2-04, 11:13 PM
P: 275
Just thought I'd let you guys know it's up now, for those of you who care. http://www.fahrenheit911.com/trailer/
Anyone planning on seeing it? Considering it won the Palme D'Or in Cannes (though probably more for politcal reasons than for cinematic achievment) it should be good.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
Matt-235
Jun3-04, 01:05 AM
P: 17
I might see it eventually, but likely not, for fear I might take my frustrations out on the screen. Bowling for Columbine was bad enough. I'm just not too big on propagandist's works.
check
Jun3-04, 03:17 PM
The only thing that really bugged me about Bowling For Columbine was Mike's ambush on Dick Clark. I don't think Dick was personally responsible for the welfare for work program, yet Mike tried to make him out to be the bad guy. Other than that, I think it was well done.

Matt-235
Jun3-04, 03:39 PM
P: 17
Fahrenheit 911 Trailer online now

The only thing that I thought was good about that movie was about how the media, especially the news media, relies on fear mongering.
phatmonky
Jun3-04, 04:37 PM
P: 1,528
Quote Quote by check
The only thing that really bugged me about Bowling For Columbine was Mike's ambush on Dick Clark. I don't think Dick was personally responsible for the welfare for work program, yet Mike tried to make him out to be the bad guy. Other than that, I think it was well done.
I didn't personally like all the lying and speech editing....but I guess I expect accuracy in my documentaries.
Adam
Jun4-04, 08:32 AM
P: 454
Calling Moore's films "documentaries" is stretching the term a little.
speg
Jun4-04, 01:43 PM
P: 16
Yeah they are more of... entertainment packaged to look like a documentary. I don't watch them expecting a true genuine documentary.
kuengb
Jun4-04, 01:50 PM
P: 117
Quote Quote by check
The only thing that really bugged me about Bowling For Columbine was Mike's ambush on Dick Clark. I don't think Dick was personally responsible for the welfare for work program, yet Mike tried to make him out to be the bad guy.
The same for that NRA boss/actor whose name I forgot. I mean, whether you like that man or not (I don't), you can't just blame him for something he has no responsability at all. And Moore de facto did that, he almost presented him as the murderer of the little girl.

Moore criticizes the society for its simplifying view of things, for its search for bad guys like Marilyn Manson. But in the end, he does exactly the same thing. Even Marilyn Manson himself was unhappy about this after the movie was finished.
check
Jun4-04, 03:24 PM
Quote Quote by kuengb
The same for that NRA boss/actor whose name I forgot. I mean, whether you like that man or not (I don't), you can't just blame him for something he has no responsability at all. And Moore de facto did that, he almost presented him as the murderer of the little girl.
Yeah, I guess I agree with that too. Iím not a big fan of ďambush journalismĒ except for its entertainment value. I donít think the point of Mooreís interview with Charlton Heston was to solely blame him for school shootings and gun crime. However, I do believe Mike went into the interview wanting to make Heston look like the bad guy by making it out to seem like his visits to pro gun rallies in Colorado and Michigan after school shootings was almost on purpose to taunt the families of the victims. Of course this isnít true, though personally I donít think having those rallies soon after the shootings was appropriate.

I think the most interesting thing about that film (to me anyway) was the comparison it made of gun violence in the United States versus the rest of the world. In the end, however, it didnít really answer the question of why America had so many gun murders though it did allude to several possible reasons.

I guess in the end I still think itís a good movie and very entertaining. As far as documentaries thoughÖI would never cite it as a source.
The_Professional
Jun5-04, 12:42 AM
P: 583
If I'm correct, Michael Moore's kids goes to a private school in the Upper East side in the city. They should go to a public school! :)
Robert Zaleski
Jun6-04, 09:14 PM
P: 74
The only thing I'm certain of with Moore is his ***piration for greatness. It has no bounds.
Stanley_Smith
Jul1-04, 04:54 PM
P: 58
I saw the movie, I guess it's pretty good for movie/entertainment purposes. Also noted that it did very well in the box office, Michael Moore is a richer man now! I don't know how it is like in any other country other than the US, but sadly I think the majority of the American who saw the movie thinks that the movie is very informative. I bet they believe the movie more than the 911 commission ! That's a sad thing about America... I saw horrific images of the war in Iraq in the movie; but he didn't show or talked about how life in Iraq are changing since the war, like how many school are built, how many bridges and buildings are rebuilt and how the Iraqis are enjoying their freedom eapecially through demonstration at least... The movie is very subjective!
check
Jul2-04, 02:10 AM
I also saw the movie. First movie Iíve ever been too when people gave a loud, enthusiastic applause at the end.

Anyway, I very much enjoyed the film. Moore makes no secret that it is a biased film. But I do agree that itís sad many people will cite this movie as a source for reasons against going to war with Iraq or not voting for bush when the 9/11 Commission hearings and prisoner abuse hearings are far more interesting, must less biased, more factual and have been starring them in the face for months!
Entropy
Jul3-04, 03:16 PM
P: 609
Moore is full of himself. I agree that hand guns are unnessisary in America but I don't think we need to lie to show people the truth. The only other thing I liked about the movie was his harassment on Charlton Heston and those NRA nut bags. You've gota have some nerve holding an NRA rallies in Columbine right after the incident.

All those redneck gun freaks thinking guns make them tough. Thinking there idel Heston is a real man's man. Oh yeah, you're really tough shooting a 1000 lbs grizzle with a high powered assult rifle at 300 yards. A real man would walk up close to the bear and pelt him with rocks to piss him off, then grab a spear and battle it for a while then impale the mother. Like in that movie "The Edge". Then skin it, eat it, and make cloths out of it all with just a rusty knife. And if you were a man's man you'd do it all with your bare hands, naked, in the tunda!

What?
Gokul43201
Jul3-04, 03:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Better to have spin and slander at the movie theaters than from your fair and balanced news station, day after day.

Register to reply