Register to reply

Sine wave & reflection question?

by shintashi
Tags: reflection, sine, wave
Share this thread:
shintashi
Feb6-09, 01:54 PM
P: 84
I seem to recall it is possible to change a wave's frequency, pattern, and amplitude by adding another wave to it.

Is it possible to add a second wave to a Sine wave to turn it into a cosine wave of the same amplitude and how would you do this? I'm thinking if I had an amplitude 1 for the sinewave, an amplitude 2 cosine wave would wipe out the sine wave and be reduced to a cosine wave. Is there a simpler way of doing this requiring less amplitude?

As a side note on waves, is there a good place/website to understand the physics behind reflection?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
HallsofIvy
Feb6-09, 04:06 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
This is a question, not "learning materials" so I am moving this to "Introductory Physics".
JaWiB
Feb6-09, 07:41 PM
P: 289
So you think sin(x)+2cos(x) = cos(x)?

If this were true, then sin(x) = -cos(x) would also be true (which it isn't). What you're probably thinking of is the superposition of waves.

I'm not sure what specifically you're looking for in regards to reflection (sound? light? mechanical waves?), but a couple of sites that have been handy for me are hyperphysics and PhET (I seem to recall a simulation or two involving waves/pulses on a string)

Register to reply