What can I do with Engineering Physics?

by Gogsey
Tags: engineering, physics
Gogsey
Feb7-09, 06:55 PM
P: 160
Hi, I'm currently doing an undergad in Engineering Physics leading to a BEng degree.
The three option for specialization are:

1). Nuclear Engineering (Nuclear and Particle Physics, Engineering Energy Systems, etc)
2). Photonics Engineering (Optical Instrumentation, Biophotonics, Laser System Applications, Optoelectronics etc)
3) Nano/Micro-Devices Engineering (MEMS, Bio-MEMS, Mechatronics/Robotics, Micro-Robotics, Micro-Fabrication etc)

I'm interested in the photonics stream and was wondering if anyone can tell me what i can do at the BEng level for careers and jobs? Also, where are these jobs found, other than connections from the university (eg. Monster, Workopolis etc)and how can I go about finding them?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
djeitnstine
Feb8-09, 02:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 619
EP's are usually the guys who crunch numbers for satellites and work for NASA. I know a few who do research for the hopeful manned mission to mars. They are essentially on the leading edge of space research and development.
Gogsey
Feb8-09, 01:32 PM
Thats awesome. My dream job would be an Aerospace Engineer, just its not too easy to come by a program. If I could aford to live away I would do it at either U of Toronto or Carleton, But I can't. Also I'd be worried about how heavy the mechanics would get too.

What about the photonics industry? Where's the best place to look/find these jobs. Also, what kinda work specifies an engineering physics degree or closely related degree?

djeitnstine
Feb8-09, 03:51 PM
PF Gold

What can I do with Engineering Physics?

Sorry I'm not educated on the photonics industry.

As for engineering physics, I can tell you as the name implies do a LOT of physics. for some part of their degree they brush against many engineering disciplines. Here is a small sample of my university's EP senior courses.

Microcomputers and Electronic
Instrumentation . . 3
Space Physics . . . . . . . . . . . 3
Engineering Electricity and
Magnetism . 3
Quantum Physics . . . . . 3
Space Systems Design I . . . . . . . 2
Space Systems Design II . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
Engineering Materials Science . . . . . . . 2
Engineering Materials Science
Laboratory . . . . . . . 1

Many of the jobs you are looking for would certainly reside at many government labs. Take a look at the NSF (National Science Foundation) website to get you started.
Gogsey
Feb8-09, 04:05 PM
What university is thatÉ I think my university degree layout is quite different from yours. I am at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.

Here is the layout for after 2nd year in the photonics. These are the specialization courses.

3rd year courses: Application of Photonics, Fundamentals of Physical Optics, Optical Instrumentation.

4th year courses: Optical Communication Systems, Lasera and Electro-optics, Biophotonics, Photonic Devices and Systems.

Actually the last 2 from 4th year are not required, but probably the best technical electives for this stream.

The other 2 streams the similar layout, but requires courses associated with Nuclear engineering and Naon-micro engineering respectively.
djeitnstine
Feb8-09, 04:58 PM
PF Gold
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. The Engineering Physics program here has a 100% job rate.

Register to reply