Register to reply

How much math exactly is in Chemistry?

by orgin21
Tags: chemistry, how much math, major, physics
Share this thread:
orgin21
Feb8-09, 10:11 PM
P: 4
Hello(first post!) guys, I was just wondering how much math is used in chemistry exactly. I have college coming up soon (just a few months) and I am vacillating between a chemistry or physics major. Both sciences interest me, but the main thing that keeps me away from chemistry is the amount of math they use. From what I see, it's mainly algebra dealing with conversions. I know in Physical Chemistry they move up to calculus, but what about the other branches? Does it get as in-depth as Physics does math wise?

Also, I was wondering about the job out looks for either of these majors. I read of something haunting choices picking a physics major over a chemistry major, so I was just wondering how true this is.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
symbolipoint
Feb8-09, 10:55 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,789
The main choice is whether you want to understand quantum chemistry and statistical mechanics. If you want to achieve something in those areas, then you want a course in Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and Probability & Statistics. Otherwise, you will only officially need and concern yourself with three semesters of Calculus (Calc 1, 2, 3), and an Introductory combined course of Differential Equations & Linear Algebra.

No matter what your choice is, Chemistry or Physics, or various interests in either of them, the guideline of, "The more Mathematics, the better", is still good.
DrummingAtom
Feb8-09, 11:06 PM
P: 661
I know 2 Chemists, one has a B.S., the other a B.A. They both worked at the same company and exact same job. The B.S. had to go all the way through Diffy Q's. The B.A. only did to Calc 2.

orgin21
Feb9-09, 07:58 PM
P: 4
How much math exactly is in Chemistry?

So pretty much I will be pretty satiated with the amount of math I will be doing in Chemistry right?
khemix
Feb9-09, 10:45 PM
P: 117
calculus is all you'll really see in conventional chemistry, and lots of algebra.

physical chemistry gets into deeper calculus, and quantum chemistry into linear algebra and DEs. but again, this is only if you specialize in those areas. if you want to do non-theoretical chemistry, you'll still need calculus.
naele
Feb9-09, 11:28 PM
P: 202
There isn't very much, most chemistry departments only require calculus up until sequences, series, and basic differential equations. Though my advisor who also teaches the quantum mechanics course said that those students that took a first course in differential equations and linear algebra tended to do better. Strictly speaking they teach you the mathematical methods required to succeed, or should.
lubuntu
Feb20-09, 12:17 PM
P: 473
How much math exactly is in chemistry?

The exact answer is pi/sqrt(2).

Register to reply