Collectibles Conundrum

by jhicks
Tags: collectibles, conundrum
jhicks
Feb14-09, 07:17 PM
P: 337
Well, it's not exactly a collectible, but some might consider it worth obtaining. Currently, I'm considering selling off an account I have in a video game. I got a credible offer of about 500 dollars, but I still play it sometimes and it's somewhat valuable to me from a sentimental point of view, but time is also of the essence as the account will probably be worthless in a year's time. If I sell the account, then I made money off something I enjoyed doing for a couple years. On the other hand, 500 dollars is one week's pay and I have no debt or real wants at the moment to use the money on so it would basically sit in the bank.

I ask you, PF, what would you do in my situation? I know some people are going to say "well it's really up to you", but I like to pick rational answers so I'm appealing to people outside of the situation to determine what is the "best" decision.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
JasonRox
Feb15-09, 01:52 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,328
I play SimCity for hours on end, and developped many cities.

I delete the cities like nothing. I have no sentimental attachment. It's not like you can't play the game anymore.
hypatia
Feb15-09, 04:15 AM
P: 1,296
I'd get rid of it, take a vacation.

jhicks
Feb16-09, 12:52 AM

Collectibles Conundrum

I delete the cities like nothing. I have no sentimental attachment. It's not like you can't play the game anymore.
Well you can also make a city in a couple days. I had invested some of my down time over two years into this, so I got a bit sentimental.

I'd get rid of it, take a vacation.
I ended up getting rid of it today -- thanks for snapping me to my senses! I'm not quite sure I will take a vacation, but a piece of furniture or two for the new apartment might do as well.
Cyrus
Feb16-09, 01:00 AM
P: 4,780
What game was it?
redargon
Feb16-09, 03:44 AM
P: 348
WoW... 500 bucks for an account what's next? I'm selling my email inbox for anyone that's interested, I'll chuck in the spam filters for free...
jhicks
Feb16-09, 10:27 AM
What game was it?
World of Warcraft. Some people go absolutely crazy for good accounts. I have had friends that have sold theirs for over two thousand dollars.

Register to reply