Disk and Block (Moment of Inertia)

In summary, the moment of inertia for the block about the axis of rotation is calculated using the parallel-axis theorem by adding the moment of inertia of the disk and the block's own moment of inertia. The acceleration of the block can be found by using the radius of 0.14 m in the formula for angular acceleration.
Trentonx

Homework Statement

A uniform disk of mass Mdisk = 4.1 kg and radius R = 0.3 m has a small block of mass mblock = 2.9 kg on its rim. It rotates about an axis a distance d = 0.16 m from its center intersecting the disk along the radius on which the block is situated.
a) What is the moment of inertia of the block about the rotation axis?
b) If while the system is rotating with angular velocity 4.6 rad/s it has an angular acceleration of 8.5 rad/s2, what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block?

Homework Equations

I[tex]_{cm}[/tex]=(1/2)(mr[tex]^{2}[/tex])
I=I[tex]_{cm}[/tex]+Md[tex]^{2}[/tex]
v=wr
a=r(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

M of I for disk
I=(1/2)(4.1)(.3[tex]^{2}[/tex])=.289
M of I for block
Parallel-axis theorem, but with what mass??
What radius would I use in the angular velocity/acceleration formula?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The axis of rotation for the || axis theorem is .16m for the disk.

That means your 1/2mr2 + md2 = I

where r is .3 and d is .16.

The block then adds 2.9*(.3 - .16)2

Since you have established the center of rotation and they are asking the acceleration on the block, then just use that .14 radius that the block is away.

The moment of inertia for the block about the rotation axis can be calculated using the parallel-axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a body about an axis parallel to its center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

In this case, the moment of inertia for the block about the rotation axis would be:

Iblock = Icm + mblock(d^2)

Where Icm is the moment of inertia of the block about its center of mass, which can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2)mr^2, where m is the mass of the block and r is the distance from the center of mass to the rotation axis.

For the block, the radius would be the distance from its center of mass to the rotation axis, which is the sum of the radius of the disk (0.3 m) and the distance between the center of the block and the rotation axis (d = 0.16 m). So the radius for the block would be 0.46 m.

Plugging in the values, we get:

Iblock = (1/2)(2.9)(0.46^2) + 2.9(0.16^2) = 0.63 kgm^2

For part b, we can use the formula a = r(alpha), where a is the acceleration of the block, r is the distance from the rotation axis to the block (0.46 m), and alpha is the angular acceleration of the system (8.5 rad/s^2). So the magnitude of the acceleration of the block would be:

a = (0.46)(8.5) = 3.91 m/s^2

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to the axis of rotation.

What is the difference between disk and block moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia for a disk is calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius. For a block, the moment of inertia is calculated using the formula I = 1/12 * m * h^2, where m is the mass of the block and h is the height.

How do you calculate the total moment of inertia for a system of objects?

To calculate the total moment of inertia for a system of objects, you add the individual moments of inertia for each object. If the objects have different axes of rotation, you must use the parallel axis theorem to adjust the moments of inertia.

What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps to explain rotational motion and how objects behave when subjected to torque. It also plays a role in understanding the stability and balance of objects.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to the axis of rotation. The shape and size of the object also play a role, as well as the distance of the object from the axis of rotation.