Register to reply

Converting Velocity-Time Graphs Into Acceleration Graphs

Share this thread:
j1249
Feb22-09, 12:35 PM
P: 14
I am completely lost on how to convert velocity time graphs into acceleration time graphs.
so far all i no is to break the velocity graph into sections/intervals and find the area. the answer i get for the area is the scale on my y axis of my acceleration graph. but what i do not no is what kind of line would it be on the acceleration graph (like would my line be straight and positive or straight and negative or would it be just a horizontal line) and how to determine that? Also how do i convert graphs that go from a positive scale to a negative scale in one graph? any help would greatly be appreciated!! Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
LowlyPion
Feb22-09, 12:41 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,343
Quote Quote by j1249 View Post
I am completely lost on how to convert velocity time graphs into acceleration time graphs.
so far all i no is to break the velocity graph into sections/intervals and find the area. the answer i get for the area is the scale on my y axis of my acceleration graph. but what i do not no is what kind of line would it be on the acceleration graph (like would my line be straight and positive or straight and negative or would it be just a horizontal line) and how to determine that? Also how do i convert graphs that go from a positive scale to a negative scale in one graph? any help would greatly be appreciated!! Thank you!
This may be your problem.

The areas under your Velocity-time graph are what? Like what are the units? i.e. what are the units of V*t?

What is the definition of acceleration?
j1249
Feb22-09, 12:46 PM
well the units of my v-t graph is m/s for velocity and s for time. as for the definition i do not no what you are asking. in my question it only asks me to determine the acceleration for each interval. then draw an a-t graph. so for my first interval i found the area by doing bh/2 so (2)(4)/2 and got 4m [forward]

LowlyPion
Feb22-09, 12:57 PM
HW Helper
Converting Velocity-Time Graphs Into Acceleration Graphs

Quote Quote by j1249 View Post
well the units of my v-t graph is m/s for velocity and s for time. as for the definition i do not no what you are asking. in my question it only asks me to determine the acceleration for each interval. then draw an a-t graph. so for my first interval i found the area by doing bh/2 so (2)(4)/2 and got 4m [forward]
The area under a v-t graph is unfortunately distance.

Velocity times time is just that - distance, expressed graphically as an area. Because that is the dimension (m/s)*s = just m.

So if velocity is change in position divided by the change in time, what is acceleration?
j1249
Feb22-09, 12:59 PM
change in velocity divided by the change in time??

right...? lol
LowlyPion
Feb22-09, 01:51 PM
HW Helper
So what might be a better way to treat the graph of velocity-time to come up with the graph of acceleration versus time?

Register to reply