View Poll Results: What is your main field?
Biology 2 2.74%
Chemistry 4 5.48%
Computer Science 4 5.48%
Engineering 17 23.29%
Mathematics 10 13.70%
Other Natural Sciences 0 0%
Physics 28 38.36%
Social Science 0 0%
None of the Above 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

What is your main field?

by Unknot
Tags: field, main
Share this thread:
Unknot
Feb22-09, 12:39 PM
P: 122
I tried to find a poll like this but I failed. So I *suppose* it has never been done before.

If I left your field out, I apologize.

Choices are, in alphabetical order:

Biology
Chemistry
Computer Science
Engineering
Mathematics
Other Natural Sciences
Physics
Social Science

and of course, none of the above.

I think that covers most of us.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
George Jones
Feb22-09, 12:53 PM
Mentor
P: 6,246
Physics.

Quote Quote by Unknot View Post
If I left your field out, I apologize.
Then, for some here, your group isn't big enough, and none of the possibilities will ring true.
Unknot
Feb22-09, 01:00 PM
I'm really interested to find out what those people do. But when I was making the poll I was doubting that there was any "none of the above" person here.

Astronuc
Feb22-09, 01:08 PM
Admin
P: 21,880
What is your main field?

Some people's work may span two or more disciplines, e.g. math/physics, or engineering/physics.

An example of three disciplines might be chemistry/physics/engineering for someone working in fundamental research in corrosion, particularly in corrosion in radiation environments.
Unknot
Feb22-09, 01:11 PM
That's true and I considered enabling multiple selection, but I was afraid it might be "wrong" statistics because then number of votes won't be number of people voted.
cristo
Feb22-09, 01:26 PM
Mentor
P: 8,316
I voted physics, but would class myself as more maths/physics.
Gokul43201
Feb22-09, 01:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
Then, for some here, your group isn't big enough, and none of the possibilities will ring true.
I'm really interested to find out what those people do. But when I was making the poll I was doubting that there was any "none of the above" person here.
George was making a funny. I guess he expected that someone into knots might have come across groups and rings in their field of study.
Unknot
Feb22-09, 01:32 PM
Quote Quote by Gokul43201 View Post
George was making a funny. I guess he expected that someone into knots might have come across groups and rings in their field of study.
Yes, I eventually got it. The first time I really didn't know what he was saying, but eventually... yes, eventually.
humanino
Feb22-09, 02:03 PM
P: 2,828
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
But why "ring" ? I mean, the term "group" may somehow make sense, at least it is vague enough, but what suggests the term "ring" as being relevant to the "ring" structure ? I never got it frankly. It's the exact same term in french and does not make any more sense. As for "field" (algebraic), in french it's called a "body", and again, I don't see how that should be suggestive of the algebraic structure thus named.
arunma
Feb22-09, 02:05 PM
P: 906
I'm in experimental high energy astrophysics. On the side, I also try and think of shorter names for my discipline.
Unknot
Feb22-09, 02:06 PM
Quote Quote by humanino View Post
But why "ring" ? I mean, the term "group" may somehow make sense, at least it is vague enough, but what suggests the term "ring" as being relevant to the "ring" structure ? I never got it frankly. It's the exact same term in french and does not make any more sense. As for "field" (algebraic), in french it's called a "body", and again, I don't see how that should be suggestive of the algebraic structure thus named.
Well Z does look like a ring and Q does look like a field... what I don't get is "group".

or is that my overactive imagination???
humanino
Feb22-09, 02:08 PM
P: 2,828
Well Z does look like a ring and Q does look like a field... what I don't get is "group".

I have to little imagination to be a mathematician then, it's that simple.
Evo
Feb22-09, 02:58 PM
Mentor
P: 26,552
I'm "none of the above" I'm in technology, data networks to be exact.
Astronuc
Feb22-09, 03:28 PM
Admin
P: 21,880
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I'm "none of the above" I'm in technology, data networks to be exact.
That would make you 'notabove'?

The internet did not exist when we were in high school, although the telecommunications networks did exist. I used to use dial-up on a time-shared mainframe. The grad students in our engineering department installed the first network, and we subsequently hooked our network to the university's network. I was able to get into other computers across the nation on what was some kind of network, possibly the precursor to the internet, but the syntax was something like - node1::node2:: . . . ::destination
naele
Feb22-09, 06:20 PM
P: 202
I'm a lipid biochemist so I just voted chemistry.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb22-09, 07:38 PM
P: 2,179
I voted for engineering. It's ideal.
binzing
Feb22-09, 08:53 PM
P: 252
Student...
Office_Shredder
Feb22-09, 08:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor