Spring compression and escape speed

In summary, to launch a 5 kg mass away from the equator of an airless asteroid with a radius of 48 meters, it will take 5.259e2 m/s of energy.
ryoonc

Homework Statement

A package of mass 5 kg sits at the equator of an airless asteroid of mass 6.3*10^5 kg and radius 48 m, which is spinning so that a point on the equator is moving with speed 2 m/s. We want to launch the package in such a way that it will never come back, and when it is very far from the asteroid it will be traveling with speed 227 m/s. We have a large and powerful spring whose stiffness is 3.0*10^5 N/m. How much must we compress the spring?

Homework Equations

Kf = Ui
(1/2) * m * v^2 = (1/2) * ks * s^2
v = sqrt[ (2 * G * M) / ri ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've listed out the variables I'll be using in this equation:
m = 5 kg
M = 6.3e5 kg
k = 3e5 N/m
r = 48m

I'll get straight to the point, plugging in the variables was easy up to the point where I had to figure out what v was, where I find the escape speed. I used the equation I stated above ( v = sqrt[ (2 * G * M) / ri ] ) to find out the escape velocity needed to figure out how much compression is needed on the spring, and got 5.403e-6.

However, it seems to be a wrong answer, but I have no idea why, but I have a feeling it has something to do with my velocity (which I got a value of 1.3235e-3 m/s), but again I don't know what else to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is useful to use that v= formula when you are asked to provide not only the energy for escape velocity but also an additional speed of 227 m/s. Better to compute the total energy needed - the GmM/r plus the 1/2m*227^2. The spring energy must provide this, so you can now calculate the compression.

Thanks for your response, Delphi, I used the equation provided to find the total energy needed to launch it, but I came up with yet again, a wrong answer. Here's how I got my answer:

Find the total energy needed:
GmM/r + (1/2) * m * 227^2 = { [ (6.673e-11) * 5kg * 6.3e5kg ] / 48 } + [ (1/2) * 5kg * 227^2 ]
= 1.28823e5 m/s

Plug that value into the kf = Ui equation:
(1/2) * m * v^2 = (1/2) * ks * s^2 = sqrt{ [ (5kg) * (1.28823e5)^2 ] / 3e5 }
= 5.259e2 m/s

Again, it's not correct.. Worse, I'm having trouble grasping the concept, which is what I'm really worried about.

Thanks for the help though, really. I've been scratching my head about this for a while now.

1.28823e5 m/s should have units of Joules.
And be subbed into E = 1/2k*x^2 in place of E.
I get x = about 1 meter.

1. What is spring compression and how does it work?

Spring compression refers to the amount of deformation or reduction in length of a spring when a force is applied to it. This force can be applied by either stretching or compressing the spring. The amount of compression is directly proportional to the force applied, as described by Hooke's law.

2. How does spring compression affect the escape speed of an object?

The escape speed of an object is the minimum speed required for it to overcome the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or moon. When a spring is compressed, it stores potential energy which can be released to propel an object. This extra energy can increase the escape speed of the object.

3. What factors affect the spring compression and escape speed?

The main factors that affect spring compression and escape speed are the force applied to the spring, the type and material of the spring, and the mass of the object being propelled. Other environmental factors, such as air resistance and gravity, may also play a role.

4. Can spring compression be used to calculate escape speed?

Yes, spring compression can be used to calculate escape speed. By using the equation for potential energy (PE = 1/2kx^2) and equating it to the kinetic energy (KE = 1/2mv^2) at escape speed, we can solve for the velocity (v) of the object.

5. Are there any real-life applications of spring compression and escape speed?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of spring compression and escape speed. Some examples include catapults, rockets, and other forms of propulsion. Springs are also used in various industries, such as automotive and aerospace, to store and release energy for different purposes.