Spring compression and escape speed

by ryoonc
Tags: compression, escape, speed, spring
Share this thread:
ryoonc
Feb22-09, 09:28 PM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A package of mass 5 kg sits at the equator of an airless asteroid of mass 6.3*10^5 kg and radius 48 m, which is spinning so that a point on the equator is moving with speed 2 m/s. We want to launch the package in such a way that it will never come back, and when it is very far from the asteroid it will be traveling with speed 227 m/s. We have a large and powerful spring whose stiffness is 3.0*10^5 N/m. How much must we compress the spring?

2. Relevant equations
Kf = Ui
(1/2) * m * v^2 = (1/2) * ks * s^2
v = sqrt[ (2 * G * M) / ri ]

3. The attempt at a solution
I've listed out the variables I'll be using in this equation:
m = 5 kg
M = 6.3e5 kg
k = 3e5 N/m
r = 48m

I'll get straight to the point, plugging in the variables was easy up to the point where I had to figure out what v was, where I find the escape speed. I used the equation I stated above ( v = sqrt[ (2 * G * M) / ri ] ) to find out the escape velocity needed to figure out how much compression is needed on the spring, and got 5.403e-6.

However, it seems to be a wrong answer, but I have no idea why, but I have a feeling it has something to do with my velocity (which I got a value of 1.3235e-3 m/s), but again I don't know what else to do with it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Delphi51
Feb22-09, 11:25 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,394
I don't think it is useful to use that v= formula when you are asked to provide not only the energy for escape velocity but also an additional speed of 227 m/s. Better to compute the total energy needed - the GmM/r plus the 1/2m*227^2. The spring energy must provide this, so you can now calculate the compression.
ryoonc
Feb23-09, 01:28 AM
P: 5
Thanks for your response, Delphi, I used the equation provided to find the total energy needed to launch it, but I came up with yet again, a wrong answer. Here's how I got my answer:

Find the total energy needed:
GmM/r + (1/2) * m * 227^2 = { [ (6.673e-11) * 5kg * 6.3e5kg ] / 48 } + [ (1/2) * 5kg * 227^2 ]
= 1.28823e5 m/s

Plug that value in to the kf = Ui equation:
(1/2) * m * v^2 = (1/2) * ks * s^2 = sqrt{ [ (5kg) * (1.28823e5)^2 ] / 3e5 }
= 5.259e2 m/s

Again, it's not correct.. Worse, I'm having trouble grasping the concept, which is what I'm really worried about.

Thanks for the help though, really. I've been scratching my head about this for a while now.

Delphi51
Feb23-09, 11:15 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,394
Spring compression and escape speed

1.28823e5 m/s should have units of Joules.
And be subbed into E = 1/2k*x^2 in place of E.
I get x = about 1 meter.

Register to reply