View Poll Results: Which language do you prefer?
English 5 100.00%
American 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

English Lingo?

by Andy
Tags: english, lingo
Share this thread:
Andy
#1
Jun11-03, 04:38 PM
P: 255
a bin of what? us americans don't understand your english lingo. but if you're talking about a trash-bin, i would cut out eye holes and paint a cheery face on it. i could make myself very handsom.
My English lingo! what other type of Bin is there i can only think of one and that's Bin laden! And if you americans can't understand my English lingo then how comes mentat could understand it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
maximus
#2
Jun11-03, 04:44 PM
P: 487
hey, i understood it well enough to respond, didn't i?

and i put i prefer the english lingo because it's funny! say something else funny, funny-man!
Andy
#3
Jun11-03, 04:45 PM
P: 255
Purple monkey dishwasher!

maximus
#4
Jun11-03, 04:49 PM
P: 487
English Lingo?

Originally posted by Andy
Purple monkey dishwasher!

that's just not funny...
Andy
#5
Jun11-03, 04:53 PM
P: 255
you just dont get it do you, it was never intended to be funny, so you thinking that i was trying to be funny when i was actually being completely random is whats funny.
cmdr_sponge
#6
Jun11-03, 04:56 PM
P: n/a
how about color or sidewalk, they're funny. u know why cus they show how intelligent the americans are. things have to be explained to them and not have any complications. but hang on what about football
our (proper) version involves using ure feet whenever possible. their version involves kicking it to the other side (thats dumb) or when u havent got the skill to get it over the line (or into the'end zone') and u have to aim at an upside down goal. at least rugby doest call itself summink it aint.

America is dumb. they elected george bush what more proof do you need


'hail to the theif!'
(radiohead fans will undersand)
Mentat
#7
Jun11-03, 04:56 PM
P: 3,715
Personally, I think that English (no matter what "lingo" is used) is an insult to languages. It is the fecal matter of the human mind's ability to be creative.

I study lots of languages, and I've never seen one that was as pathetic as English (no offense to anyone, I'm just making an observation).
Andy
#8
Jun11-03, 05:01 PM
P: 255
Good point Mentat i much prefer spanish, cant stand french, but one thing that is mroe pathetic than english is that so many other countries use it, and completely screw it up just like you americans with your color and as for the australians dont get me started on the australians!
maximus
#9
Jun11-03, 05:01 PM
P: 487
Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
America is dumb. they elected george bush what more proof do you need
i must admit, i'd think we were dumb too. and most of us are anyways. most of us, mind you! not all. i be very smart!

p.s. i dislike both our types of football.

and mentat, if you hate english so much, let's choose another language to speak on the forums.
cmdr_sponge
#10
Jun11-03, 05:02 PM
P: n/a
i agree english is basic but there was no need to make it simpler was there? (cept 4 on the net cus its just pln quikr 2 wrt lik ths)
maximus
#11
Jun11-03, 05:05 PM
P: 487
Originally posted by Andy
Good point Mentat i much prefer spanish, cant stand french, but one thing that is mroe pathetic than english is that so many other countries use it, and completely screw it up just like you americans with your color and as for the australians dont get me started on the australians!
we screw it up with our color? what the flying f*** is that supposed to mean? are you saying you think our acents are ugly? even californian? (but i don't have an accent, naturally)


i once asked a spanish speaker what they thought of americans trying an spanish language, and he said that we make it sound good. i've always thought that french accents sound good, along with spanish. (and some others)
english accents are okay. (i can immitate one rather well actually)
maximus
#12
Jun11-03, 05:06 PM
P: 487
Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
i agree english is basic but there was no need to make it simpler was there? (cept 4 on the net cus its just pln quikr 2 wrt lik ths)
it may seem plain to me or you, but to someone trying to learn it, it's just plain nutty.
cmdr_sponge
#13
Jun11-03, 05:09 PM
P: n/a
personally i was talkin about the complexity of the lingo, ie, masculine and feminine (possibly neutral) tenses. i'm pretty sure that others were too. obviously a subtle point missed on an obtuse mind

(i think we have him a little pissed off)
maximus
#14
Jun11-03, 05:12 PM
P: 487
Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
personally i was talkin about the complexity of the lingo, ie, masculine and feminine (possibly neutral) tenses. i'm pretty sure that others were too. obviously a subtle point missed on an obtuse mind

(i think we have him a little pissed off)
actually, i'm fine. you're right, i completly missed that.
Andy
#15
Jun11-03, 05:12 PM
P: 255
we screw it up with our color? what the flying f*** is that supposed to mean?
That is supposed to mean that Color is spelt Colour but you americans thought you would change it because you found it too hard to spell!
Mentat
#16
Jun11-03, 05:15 PM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by Andy
That is supposed to mean that Color is spelt Colour but you americans thought you would change it because you found it too hard to spell!
And I suppose you think that "center" should be spelt "centre"? And that a cookie is a biscuit and a truck is "lorry" (probably spelt that wrong)?
maximus
#17
Jun11-03, 05:16 PM
P: 487
Originally posted by Andy
That is supposed to mean that Color is spelt Colour but you americans thought you would change it because you found it too hard to spell!
whoa, whoa... we're getting a little cultural offencive here. (or maybe not, it's hard to tell without vocal intonations or at least smilies.
Mentat
#18
Jun11-03, 05:17 PM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by maximus
i must admit, i'd think we were dumb too. and most of us are anyways. most of us, mind you! not all. i be very smart!

p.s. i dislike both our types of football.

and mentat, if you hate english so much, let's choose another language to speak on the forums.
Can you speak another language?

Besides, English serves my purpose here on the PFs well enough. So, I don't think I should petition Greg to change the common language of the PFs.


Register to reply

Related Discussions
I'm really bad at English! General Discussion 18
Know your english! General Discussion 11
English-Chinese Chinese-English English-English Computing & Technology 2
In english, please Introductory Physics Homework 14
Lingo General Discussion 11