View Poll Results: Which language do you prefer?
English 5 100.00%
American 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

English Lingo?

by Andy
Tags: english, lingo
Share this thread:
maximus
Jun11-03, 05:19 PM
P: 487
Originally posted by Mentat
Can you speak another language?

only one other. and that only barely, i'm in accel. spanish 2
Andy
Jun11-03, 05:19 PM
P: 255
And I suppose you think that "center" should be spelt "centre"? And that a cookie is a buscuit and a truck is "lorry" (probably spelt that wrong)?
Yes CENTRE should be spelt this way because it is the proper way of spelling it! you managed to get lorry right (well done) but buscuit you must be having a laugh! you got the harder bit correct and the easiest bit wrong its spelt Biscuit. (i say the harder bit when even that is very easy to spell)
maximus
Jun11-03, 05:20 PM
is anyone else surprised how fast this became 2 pages?
cmdr_sponge
Jun11-03, 05:21 PM
P: n/a
actually we have cookies, we even call some of them american cookies. a cookie is used in reference to a rough form of one of our biscuits. the term biscuits is more reserved for a more refined well managed version.

ps is both side having culture a prerequisite to being cultrally offesive? cus we have years of it
Andy
Very!
maximus
...buscuit...
an innocent mistake...
cmdr_sponge
Jun11-03, 05:23 PM
P: n/a
Originally posted by maximus
is anyone else surprised how fast this became 2 pages?
not when it involves national pride, i think this thread is likely to deteriorate into racism, which is fine if u like that kind of thing, but i'm not sure the powers that be would let it carry on
maximus
Jun11-03, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
ps is both side having culture a prerequisite to being cultrally offesive? cus we have years of it
maybe for some, but i for one love british culture and find it interesting. i apoligize if i've offended.
Andy
Jun11-03, 05:27 PM
you havent offended me, i have been laughing at this but someone will probably read this and get very offended and in turn get very offensive which will then start a viscious circle of offensiveness which will lead to this topic being locked.
Mentat
Jun11-03, 05:28 PM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by maximus
only one other. and that only barely, i'm in accel. spanish 2
Cool. That was my first language.
Mentat
Jun11-03, 05:30 PM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by Andy
Yes CENTRE should be spelt this way because it is the proper way of spelling it! you managed to get lorry right (well done) but buscuit you must be having a laugh! you got the harder bit correct and the easiest bit wrong its spelt Biscuit. (i say the harder bit when even that is very easy to spell)
What are you talking about (see the post that you are refering to, but ignore the little words in italics ).
Andy
Jun11-03, 05:30 PM
I also speak a little spanish, i have studied it for 1 year so its very limited at the moment as you might have if you had read the thread that was typed in spanish, but i would like to become fluent spanish speaker.
maximus
Jun11-03, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
not when it involves national pride, i think this thread is likely to deteriorate into racism, which is fine if u like that kind of thing, but i'm not sure the powers that be would let it carry on
i'm sorry that we ever wandered into such a discussion. i mean no offence.
maximus
Jun11-03, 05:33 PM
I also speak a little spanish, i have studied it for 1 year so its very limited at the moment as you might have if you had read the thread that was typed in spanish, but i would like to become fluent spanish speaker.

that's unusual. i thought most british took french, as france is much closer. what modivated you to learn spanish?
maximus
Jun11-03, 05:35 PM
Cool. That was my first language.

your first? how many do you speak?
Andy
Jun11-03, 05:35 PM
i did french for 5 years but never bothered to pay attention in lessons and thats because i cant stand the french! and i needed another subject to study at college and spanish look pretty cool so i took it, i also got to go to barcelona which was pretty cool.
maximus
Jun11-03, 05:38 PM
i did french for 5 years but never bothered to pay attention in lessons and thats because i cant stand the french! and i needed another subject to study at college and spanish look pretty cool so i took it, i also got to go to barcelona which was pretty cool.

you hate the french? that's a strong statement! have you heard that in america some want to switch the name of French Fries (i think you call them chips) into Freedom Fries, becuase the french didn't support us in the war?
Andy
Jun11-03, 05:42 PM
And I suppose you think that "center" should be spelt "centre"? And that a cookie is a biscuit and a truck is "lorry" (probably spelt that wrong)?
Refering to the above statement i fail to see where the Italics can be found, (i have never used italics in this before so it better work!)

Register to reply