Mathematical Analysis by Apostol

In summary, there are significant differences between the first and second editions of Apostol's book. The second edition includes new chapters on Lebesgue integration and develops point set topology in the setting of metric spaces. Some material has been deleted and the order of some chapters has been rearranged. Although the price of the first edition may be cheaper, it is difficult to determine if it is as good as the second edition without having read it. It is also common for the price of a popular book to increase over time.
Werg22
Is there a big difference between the 1st and the 2nd edition? I'm considering buying the book, and the 1st edition is much cheaper, but I suspect it may not be that good.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in the preface to the second edition, Apostol writes:

"The second edition differs from the first in many respects. Point set topology is developed in the setting of metric spaces as well as in Euclidean n-space, and two new chapters have been added on Lebesgue integration. The material on line integrals, vector analysis, and surface integrals has been deleted. The order of some chapters has been rearranged, many section having been completely rewritten, and several new excercises have been added."

I have not read the first edition, I've read parts of the second, so I can't comment. I do agree that when a book becomes popular, the price becomes bloated.

I cannot provide a personal opinion on the quality of a book. However, I can provide information on the differences between the 1st and 2nd edition of Mathematical Analysis by Apostol.

The main difference between the 1st and 2nd edition of this book is that the 2nd edition includes additional material and exercises. Specifically, the 2nd edition includes new sections on the Riemann-Stieltjes integral, multivariable calculus, and differential equations. It also has more exercises and examples throughout the book.

In terms of content, the 2nd edition is more comprehensive and covers a wider range of topics compared to the 1st edition. This may be beneficial for those looking for a more in-depth understanding of mathematical analysis.

Ultimately, the decision to purchase the 1st or 2nd edition should depend on your specific needs and goals. If you are looking for a more comprehensive and up-to-date book, the 2nd edition would be a better choice. However, if you are looking for a more affordable option and do not require the additional material, the 1st edition may be a suitable option.

1. What is Mathematical Analysis by Apostol?

Mathematical Analysis by Apostol is a textbook that covers the foundations of mathematical analysis, including topics such as limits, continuity, derivatives, integrals, and series. It is commonly used in undergraduate courses in mathematics and is known for its rigorous and comprehensive approach.

2. Is Mathematical Analysis by Apostol suitable for beginners?

No, Mathematical Analysis by Apostol is not recommended for beginners. It assumes a strong foundation in calculus and a familiarity with mathematical proofs. It is better suited for advanced undergraduate or graduate students in mathematics.

3. How is Mathematical Analysis by Apostol different from other analysis textbooks?

Mathematical Analysis by Apostol is known for its rigorous and comprehensive approach to the subject. It covers a wide range of topics in mathematical analysis and includes many challenging exercises. It also includes historical notes and biographies of mathematicians, providing a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. Can Mathematical Analysis by Apostol be used for self-study?

Yes, Mathematical Analysis by Apostol can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a strong background in calculus and experience with mathematical proofs before attempting to study this textbook independently. It is also helpful to have access to a solutions manual or a knowledgeable mentor for guidance.

5. Are there any resources available to supplement the material in Mathematical Analysis by Apostol?

Yes, there are several resources available to supplement the material in Mathematical Analysis by Apostol. These include online lecture notes, video lectures, and additional problem sets. It is also helpful to consult with a professor or join a study group to discuss the material and work through challenging problems together.