Changing Field of Study: Naval Architecture to Thermo Fluids

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on studying mechanical engineering for their MSc degree with a background in Naval Architecture. They are asking for recommendations on courses to take in preparation for studying "Thermo fluids" and mention having a strong background in math and physics with courses such as general math, differential equations, and general physics 1 & 2. They also mention having taken courses in fluid mechanics and heat transformation 1 as part of their Naval Architecture studies. Another member suggests taking courses in solid mechanics and strength of materials.
farhad_mech
Hello
I have bachelor of science in Naval Architecture and i want to study mechanical engineering "Thermo fluids" for Msc,my question is:
because i have bachelor of Naval Architecture,i have not passed about half of lessons mechanical engineers pass during their study.so i think i need to read some of mechanical engineers lessons before applying for "Thermo fluids",what are this lessons that i must read so that i will not face with any big problem during my Msc?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of physics/math background do you have? I didn't take any engineering courses as an undergrad and I've had no trouble with graduate level mechanical engineering courses, but I had a strong background in physics and math.

my background in math and physics are lessons i have passed in my bsc:
general math 1
general math 2
differential equations
engineering mathematics
general physics 1
general physics 2
some other lessons i have passed in Naval architecture:
fluid mechanics 1 & 2
heat transformation 1

what was your background in math and physics?

Hi,
I am new at this forum and need all of your knowledge to share. Thanks

farhad_mech said:
my background in math and physics are lessons i have passed in my bsc:
general math 1
general math 2
differential equations
engineering mathematics
general physics 1
general physics 2
some other lessons i have passed in Naval architecture:
fluid mechanics 1 & 2
heat transformation 1

what was your background in math and physics?

Was "general physics" a calculus based course? You seem to have a pretty good background. It would help to take courses in solid mechanics and strength of materials if you haven't already.

1. What is the difference between Naval Architecture and Thermo Fluids?

The field of Naval Architecture specializes in the design, construction, and maintenance of ships and other marine vehicles. Thermo Fluids, on the other hand, is a branch of engineering that focuses on the study of heat transfer and fluid mechanics. While both fields involve the use of physics and mathematics, Naval Architecture is more specific to the marine industry, while Thermo Fluids has applications in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and power generation.

2. Can a degree in Naval Architecture be applied to Thermo Fluids?

Yes, a degree in Naval Architecture can be applied to Thermo Fluids. Both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Additionally, many concepts and skills learned in Naval Architecture, such as fluid dynamics and thermodynamics, are applicable to Thermo Fluids.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in Naval Architecture transitioning to Thermo Fluids?

A career in Thermo Fluids can offer a diverse range of opportunities for someone with a background in Naval Architecture. Some potential career paths include working as a thermal engineer, fluid dynamics engineer, or in research and development for industries such as aerospace, automotive, and energy. Additionally, with the rise of renewable energy technologies, there may be opportunities for those with a background in Thermo Fluids to work in the marine industry, particularly in designing and optimizing marine renewable energy systems.

4. What are the challenges of transitioning from Naval Architecture to Thermo Fluids?

One of the main challenges of transitioning from Naval Architecture to Thermo Fluids is the shift in focus from large-scale marine structures to smaller-scale systems and components. This may require a different approach to problem-solving and a deeper understanding of fluid mechanics and heat transfer principles. Additionally, some specific technical skills, such as computer-aided design (CAD) and finite element analysis (FEA), may need to be learned or enhanced for the new field.

5. Are there any resources or programs available to help with the transition from Naval Architecture to Thermo Fluids?

Yes, there are various resources and programs available to help with the transition from Naval Architecture to Thermo Fluids. Many universities offer graduate programs or certificate programs specifically in Thermo Fluids, which can provide a more focused education in the field. Additionally, professional organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) offer workshops and seminars for professionals looking to expand their knowledge and skills in Thermo Fluids. Networking with professionals in the field and seeking mentorship opportunities can also be beneficial for a successful transition.