Dr. Lady
Mar5-09, 03:29 AM
P: 17
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let f(x,y)= 1 if x is rational, 2*y if x is irrational
Compute both double integrals of f(x,y) over [0,1]x[0,1]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm tempted to say that we can do the dydx integral since when x is rational, integrating y gives squares of area=1 and when x is irrational, we get triangles of area 1, so when we integrate over x, we just get 1. Then, since f(x,y) is bounded, the other integral has the same value.

Is this reasoning any good at all, or am I just crazy?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
lanedance
Mar5-09, 03:41 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,307
(disclaimer... I don't know too much about it myself, so apologies if i confuse the issue)

but could this have something to do with Lebesgue measure, and one of those sets having Lebesgue measure of zero?
HallsofIvy
Mar5-09, 04:40 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
Quote Quote by Dr. Lady View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let f(x,y)= 1 if x is rational, 2*y if x is irrational
Compute both double integrals of f(x,y) over [0,1]x[0,1]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm tempted to say that we can do the dydx integral since when x is rational, integrating y gives squares of area=1 and when x is irrational, we get triangles of area 1, so when we integrate over x, we just get 1. Then, since f(x,y) is bounded, the other integral has the same value.

Is this reasoning any good at all, or am I just crazy?
I don't know what you mean by "integrating y gives squares of area 1" or "we get triangles of area 1" integrating with respect to y gives a number as does integrating first with respect to x. If you were doing this with as a Riemann integral the crucial point would be that any region in the plane, no matter how small, contains points (x,y) in which x is rational as well as points in which x is irrational. If you are doing this as a Lebesque integral, You can, as lanedance suggests, divide the region into the set {(x, y)| x rational} and {(x,y)| x irrational}. and the second set has two dimensional Lebesque measure 0.

Register to reply