Register to reply

Finding Isomorphisms

by Obraz35
Tags: group theory, isomorphic, isomorphism
Share this thread:
Obraz35
Mar11-09, 05:50 PM
P: 31
I have the group G whose elements are infinite sequences of integers (a1, a2, ...). These sequences combine termwise as such:
(a1, a2,...)(b1, b2,...) = (a1+b2, a2+b2,...)

I would like to find an isomorphism from G x Z (the direct product of G and the integers) to G as well as an isomorphism from G x G to G.

So far, I have found several homomorphisms for both of these but all of them lack the injective property so fail to be isomorphisms. What sorts of functions can I construct that are isomorphisms to G for these two groups?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Hurkyl
Mar11-09, 06:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
In the arithmetic of Abelian groups, your group G is isomorphic to the infinite Cartesian product ZN.... (actually, it's probably equal to, not just isomorphic to, but that doesn't matter)
Obraz35
Mar11-09, 07:03 PM
Okay. I see that, but I guess I'm not sure how to use that fact to show that G x Z is isomorphic to G. Should I try to show that G x Z is also isomorphic to the infinite direct product?

Hurkyl
Mar11-09, 08:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
Finding Isomorphisms

That would work. Calculations like this are one of the reasons we learn how to do arithmetic with sets!

(I'm assuming you know the appropriate arithmetic rules, such as [itex](A \times B)^C \cong A^C \times B^C[/itex])
Obraz35
Mar11-09, 08:27 PM
Yes, thanks very much.

Register to reply