Calculate SO42- Concentration in Mixture of Na2SO4 & Al2(SO4)3

• Thread starter geffman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
In summary, the problem involves mixing solutions of sodium sulfate and aluminium sulfate to find the concentration of SO42- ions in the final solution. The number of moles of each salt is calculated, and then the number of moles of SO42- ions is determined using the ratios of ions per mole of salt. The final answer is not provided.
geffman1

Homework Statement

hey i really can't do this question, can anyone help. A mixture was made from solutions of sodium sulfate and aluminium sulfate.
311 mL of 0.500 M Na2SO4 solution and 190 mL of 0.300 M Al2(SO4)3 solution were mixed together. Calculate the concentration of SO42- ions in the final solution?

anyhelp would be appreciated. thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of Na2SO4 ? How many moles of SO4 does each mole of the salt have?

How many moles of Al2(SO4)3 ? How many moles of Sulfate does each mole of this salt have?

moles of Naso4=0.1555
moles of Al(So4)3=0.057

How do i work out the number of moles of So4 ions?

Al2(SO4)3 - how many Al3+ per molecule? How many SO42- per molecule?

Al2(SO4)3 - how many moles Al3+ per mole of salt?

2 Al /molecule 3 SO4molecule.
im not sure if this is right--mole of al=26.98/(26.98x2)+(3x32.02)+(12x16)=0.0788mol?

No, no need for molar masses.

Mole is just an ovegrown dozen.

If there is one exhaust in car, how many exhausts in dozen cars?

If there is one exhaust in car, how many exhausts in mole of cars?

1. How do I calculate the concentration of SO42- in a mixture of Na2SO4 and Al2(SO4)3?

The concentration of SO42- can be calculated by dividing the moles of SO42- by the total volume of the solution. To find the moles of SO42-, you can use the molar ratio of SO42- to the total moles of the mixture, which can be determined by the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

2. How do I determine the moles of SO42- in a mixture of Na2SO4 and Al2(SO4)3?

To determine the moles of SO42-, you can use the molar ratio of SO42- to the total moles of the mixture, which can be determined by the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. For example, if the balanced equation is 2Na2SO4 + Al2(SO4)3 → 2Na3SO4 + 2Al(SO4)3, the molar ratio of SO42- to the total moles of the mixture is 2:3.

3. How do I convert the concentration of SO42- to molarity?

To convert the concentration of SO42- to molarity, you need to know the volume of the solution in liters and the number of moles of SO42-. Molarity is calculated by dividing the moles of the solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

4. What is the difference between Na2SO4 and Al2(SO4)3?

Na2SO4 is a compound called sodium sulfate, while Al2(SO4)3 is a compound called aluminum sulfate. They have different chemical formulas and properties, but both contain the sulfate ion (SO42-).

5. How does the concentration of SO42- in a mixture of Na2SO4 and Al2(SO4)3 affect the properties of the solution?

The concentration of SO42- can affect the properties of the solution, such as its pH and conductivity. A higher concentration of SO42- can make the solution more acidic and increase its conductivity. Additionally, the presence of SO42- ions can also impact the solubility of other substances in the solution.