Register to reply

Stars spectrum questions

by MonsieurWise
Tags: spectrum, stars
Share this thread:
MonsieurWise
Mar15-09, 10:25 PM
P: 53
I'm doing a project about astronomy. I've never done one, I just jumped from quantum physics to here, so I don't think I know anything =.=. To start, I think I need some stars spectrum, but since stars are not as bright as the sun, I don't really know how to have them. Could someone give me some advice of how to have stars spectrum (without using internet), and what equipment do I need...? Thank you very much ^^
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Image: Chandra's view of the Tycho Supernova remnant
Bright like a diamond: lasers and compressed carbon recreate Jupiter's core
New mass map of a distant galaxy cluster is the most precise yet
russ_watters
Mar15-09, 10:45 PM
Mentor
P: 22,239
The spectrum of a star is based on temperature. You can simulate it with light bulbs: do some research on the different types of stars and their temperatures, then compare them to different types of light bulbs and their temperatures.
pixel01
Mar15-09, 10:54 PM
P: 691
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
The spectrum of a star is based on temperature. You can simulate it with light bulbs: do some research on the different types of stars and their temperatures, then compare them to different types of light bulbs and their temperatures.
There are stars that are millions of temperature. Exclude them before doing some simulation.

MonsieurWise
Mar15-09, 11:03 PM
P: 53
Stars spectrum questions

Thanks ^^. But I mean the real star spectrum where I can derive the composition of the stars, speed, directions... Is that possible...?

Register to reply