Would practical courses like welding and machining be useful?

by MissSilvy
Tags: courses, machining, practical, welding
Ranger Mike
Mar20-09, 09:24 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,418
close..Gen Electric tried this factory of the future crap in 1980..the only ones working at the palnt would be maintenance people..changing light bulbs..never happened
nor will it
like the Scarecrow said ..A BRAIN!!!!
xxChrisxx
Mar20-09, 09:43 AM
P: 2,032
'Nor will it' is a slightly sweeping statement, and a bit of a bold if I might say.

It'll happen. The advances in technology in the last 30 years have been simply staggering, and I couldnt even speculate as what we'd be able to do in another 30. The human element of the manufacutring process will be eleminated at some point as machines are better at this sort of thing.

Well I think this thread has been successfully hijacked.
Topher925
Mar20-09, 11:05 AM
P: 1,672
Be careful how much time you invest in CAD classes, unless you want to be a designer. I've seen a lot of ME's, many with MSMEs, become CAD monkeys and just make pretty pictures of stuff all day. Waste of an education if you ask me since most CAD software can be learned in <3 weeks.
TVP45
Mar20-09, 11:58 AM
P: 1,130
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
Be careful how much time you invest in CAD classes, unless you want to be a designer. I've seen a lot of ME's, many with MSMEs, become CAD monkeys and just make pretty pictures of stuff all day. Waste of an education if you ask me since most CAD software can be learned in <3 weeks.
Pilgrim, that sounds like a challenge. It takes several thousand hours to be any good on most 3d packages.

Register to reply