Transforming parabola to straight line

by turin
Tags: line, parabola, straight, transforming
Share this thread:
turin
Mar22-09, 04:51 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
To the moderator: This isn't a HW question, but it probably sounds like one, so I appologize. Please move this to the HW forum if need be.

I have an integration domain inside three intersecting curves. Two of the curves are straightlines and the third is a parabola. These three boundaries are of the form

[tex]
y=Ax
\, \qquad
y=Bx
\, \qquad
y=(1+x)^2
[/tex]

where A and B are arbitrary constant slopes > 4.
I want to transform the boundary of this domain into a triangle, as simply as possible. Any hints?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Office_Shredder
Mar22-09, 06:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
You don't just want to turn the parabola into a straight line, you want to keep the other straight lines as straight lines as well.
turin
Mar23-09, 12:05 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
You don't just want to turn the parabola into a straight line, you want to keep the other straight lines as straight lines as well.
Correct. I already know how to straighten the parabola, e.g. u=(1+x)^2; that's trivial.

BTW, I don't care about the Jacobian; my #1 priority is straight boundaries for the domain of integration.

Register to reply