Transforming parabola to straight line

by turin
Tags: line, parabola, straight, transforming
Share this thread:
turin
Mar22-09, 04:51 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
To the moderator: This isn't a HW question, but it probably sounds like one, so I appologize. Please move this to the HW forum if need be.

I have an integration domain inside three intersecting curves. Two of the curves are straightlines and the third is a parabola. These three boundaries are of the form

[tex]
y=Ax
\, \qquad
y=Bx
\, \qquad
y=(1+x)^2
[/tex]

where A and B are arbitrary constant slopes > 4.
I want to transform the boundary of this domain into a triangle, as simply as possible. Any hints?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Office_Shredder
Mar22-09, 06:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
You don't just want to turn the parabola into a straight line, you want to keep the other straight lines as straight lines as well.
turin
Mar23-09, 12:05 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
You don't just want to turn the parabola into a straight line, you want to keep the other straight lines as straight lines as well.
Correct. I already know how to straighten the parabola, e.g. u=(1+x)^2; that's trivial.

BTW, I don't care about the Jacobian; my #1 priority is straight boundaries for the domain of integration.

Register to reply