What is input work?

by icecomet
Tags: input, work
icecomet
Mar22-09, 08:05 PM
P: 5
okay so input force is the amount of force that is put in right?
so you can find that by using the formula force = mass x accleration...
but then what is input work?

work is the result of force... but then wouldn't that be output work? i don't understand teh concept of input work.... what is it? how do you find it?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Nabeshin
Mar22-09, 08:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,194
Umm, I'm unfamiliar with your terminology but I think what you're getting at is this:

Input work would be the work done on a body or system, that is, forces that are applied to the body or system. This is in contrast to output work which is a force that is applied by the body or system to something else.
Bob S
Mar23-09, 01:13 PM
P: 4,664
There are two ways you can apply force to an object:
1) Force times time dt is called an impulse and adds to the momentum of the object.

2) Force times distance dx is called work and adds energy to the object.

Register to reply