Hydrostatic Force Problem In Calc. 2

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving hydrostatic force and density, specifically finding the force acting against a semicircular gate in a vertical dam. The formulas for hydrostatic force and the area of a semicircle are used to calculate the force, and the poster is advised to use a slightly different approach for a simpler solution. A minor correction is also made regarding the depth value used in the calculation.
coco87
Hey,
I've done an even problem from my book, and am not 100% sure if it's correct. It asks to find the Hydrostatic Force acting against an Area.

Homework Statement

A vertical dam has a semicircular gate as shown in the figure. Find the Hydrostatic force against the gate.

http://sites.google.com/site/lcphr3ak/Home/prbm14.png

[tex]w=2 \mbox{ m}[/tex]

[tex]i=4 \mbox{ m}[/tex]

[tex]l=12 \mbox{ m}[/tex]

This figure represents a Dam. The top rectangle represents... I guess air? The [tex]w[/tex] is for height, at [tex]2 \mbox{ m}[/tex]. The lower rectangle is the water. The half circle at the bottom is the Object will act as the area. The [tex]i[/tex] in the circle is the diameter of the half circle, which is [tex]4 \mbox{ m}[/tex]. And last, but not least, [tex]l[/tex] represents the entire length of the Dam, which is [tex]12 \mbox{ m}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\sqrt{a^2-u^2}du \Rightarrow \frac{u}{2} \sqrt{a^2-u^2} + \frac{a^2}{2}\sin^{-1}{\frac{u}{a}}+C[/tex]

[tex]F = pgAd[/tex]

[tex]p = 1000 \mbox{ }kg/m^3[/tex]

[tex]g = 9.8 \mbox{ }m/s^2[/tex]

Now, I am not 100% sure I am applying these formulas correctly. [tex]F[/tex] is what I'm assuming to be the Hydrostatic Force since the book states that it is, "The force exerted by the fluid on an area". And the book gives [tex]p[/tex] as the density of water, and of course [tex]g[/tex] as gravity.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]d = 12-2 = 10[/tex]

[tex]x^2+y^2=(2)^2 \Rightarrow y=\sqrt{4-x^2}[/tex]

[tex]A=\int_{-2}^{2}\sqrt{4-x^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{x}{2} \sqrt{4-x^2} + 2\sin^{-1}{\frac{x}{2}}=I[/tex]

[tex]A=I(2)-I(-2)=6.283185[/tex]

[tex]F=(1000)(9.8)(6.283185)(10)=615752.13 \mbox{ N}[/tex]

Did I correctly apply the concept? If so, is my Arithmetic correct also?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to help you with your problem. From what I can see, you have correctly applied the concepts of hydrostatic force and density to find the force acting against the semicircular gate. Your arithmetic also seems correct.

However, I would like to suggest a slightly different approach to solving this problem. Instead of using integrals, you can use the formula for the area of a semicircle (A = πr^2/2) to find the area of the gate. Then, you can use the formula for hydrostatic force (F = pgA) to calculate the force. This may be a simpler and more direct method.

Additionally, I noticed that you have used a value of 10 for the depth (d) in your calculation. However, according to the diagram, the depth should be 12 meters (d = 12 - 2 = 10). This may just be a typo, but I wanted to point it out to ensure the accuracy of your calculation.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concept and have applied it correctly. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck with your studies,

What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest on an object submerged in the fluid. It is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the gravitational acceleration and the depth of the object in the fluid.

How is hydrostatic force related to calculus?

Hydrostatic force is related to calculus because it involves calculating the integral of pressure over an object's surface to determine the total force exerted by the fluid. This type of problem is typically encountered in Calculus 2 courses.

What is the difference between hydrostatic force and hydrodynamic force?

Hydrostatic force is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest on an object, while hydrodynamic force is the force exerted by a moving fluid on an object. Hydrodynamic force also takes into account the velocity and direction of the fluid, while hydrostatic force only considers the depth of the object in the fluid.

What are some real-life applications of hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the force on a submerged dam or retaining wall due to water pressure, determining the buoyancy force on a ship or submarine, and calculating the force on a submerged object due to water pressure in swimming pools or water tanks.

What are some tips for solving hydrostatic force problems?

Some tips for solving hydrostatic force problems include carefully setting up the integral to calculate the total force, understanding the geometry of the object and the fluid, and using the correct units for density, depth, and gravitational acceleration. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram and label all known and unknown quantities before starting the problem.