Bond Energies

by Aiko
Tags: bond, energies
Aiko
Mar28-09, 11:51 PM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Nitrogen trifluoride, NF3, is relatively stable toward decomposition to its elements. In contrast, NCl3 can be dangerous to work with because of its tendency to decompose to N2 + Cl2, Use bond energies to rationalize.

2. Relevant equations

Bond energies for N-F is 278 kJ/mol, N-Cl is 193 kJ/mol, N≡N is 942 kJ/mol, Cl-Cl is 240 kJ/mol and F-F is 154 kJ/mol.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know what we are supposed to be explaining. Rationalizing the formation of N2 and Cl2 has more to do with attraction than bonding energies right? I'm so lost :(
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
link2110
Apr2-09, 11:37 PM
P: 47
i think its because when the bonds decompose, it releases energy, given off in some form...that could make it dangerous...i have not done the calculations, you should try that...see if NCl3 has more or less energy than N2 + Cl2
Borek
Apr4-09, 04:35 AM
Admin
P: 22,710
Quote Quote by link2110 View Post
see if NCl3 has more or less energy than N2 + Cl2
And do the same for NF3. It doesn't have to give the answer, but that's the most obvious thing to try.

Register to reply