Apr13-09, 07:22 PM
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A loop of wire is situation between a wire (Wire 1) that is perpendicular to the loop and another wire (Wire 2) that is parallel to the loop (the diagram has the loop and Wire 2 in the plane of the page, Wire 1 is running "through" the page). Is a current induced, and in what direction, in the wire loop if the following occur:
1) Steady flow of current in wire 1.
2) Increasing flow of current in wire 1 into the page.
3) Steady flow of current in wire 2 toward the top of the page.
4) Increasing flow of current in wire 2 towards the bottom of the page.
5) Increasing flow of current in wire 1 out of the page and a decreasing flow of current in wire 2 towards the top of the page.
6) Steady flow of current in wire 2 towards the top of the page, and wire 2 is also being moved away from the loop
2. Relevant equations
Right hand rule? Faradays Law?
3. The attempt at a solution
1) No induced current since the field produced by wire 1 is not changing
2) Current is induced but, I've no clue how to work the right hand rule and whatnot to tell me which direction
3) Same as 1
4) Same as 2
5) They both induce some current since the field is changing but, again, I don't know how the combination of both would affect the direction and net magnitude
6) Current is induced since B is changing; again, no clue on direction.
So, I understand that a current is induced whenever the field around the loop changes. That occurs in 2, 4, 5?, and 6. However, the issue I'm having is determining which direction the induced current in the loop is flowing (cw or ccw); especially with #5. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Upon some research, I've reworked my answers. If these could be checked:
1,2,3: No current is induced
4,5,6: Current is induced, all 3 in the ccw direction.
|Register to reply|
|Induced emf and current||Introductory Physics Homework||2|
|Induced EMF and current||Introductory Physics Homework||1|
|induced current||Introductory Physics Homework||1|
|Induced Current!||General Physics||3|
|Quick induced current from magnetic field question.. direction of current?||Introductory Physics Homework||1|