Prove that subset of regular surface is also a regular surface

by AlphaMale28
Tags: prove, regular, subset, surface
Share this thread:
AlphaMale28
Apr14-09, 12:14 PM
P: 1
Dear Sirs and Madam's

I have following problem which I hope you go assist me in. I have been recommended this forum because I heard its the best place with the best science experts in the world.

Anyway the problem is as follows

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]A \subset S [/tex] be a subset of regular surface S. Prove that A itself is a regular surface iff A is open in S. Where [tex]A = U \cap S[/tex] and where U is open in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]

I am using a pretty old book by a guy named Do Carmo so just as now. on page 52 there is a definition of a regular surface:

A subset of [tex]S \subset \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] is a regular surface if for eac [tex]p \in S[/tex] there exist a neighbourhood V in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] and a map [tex]x: U \rightarrow V \cap S[/tex] of a open set [tex]U \subset \mathbb{R}^2[/tex] onto [tex]V \cap S \subset \mathbb{R}^3[/tex]

Such that

1) x is differentiabel

2) x is an homomorphism.

3) For each q in U the differential [tex]dx_q : \mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] is onto-one.
2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

condition 2) By the definition above let [tex]p \in A[/tex]. Next assume that [tex]x: U \rightarrow S [/tex]. Where U is open subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. Then

[tex]x^{-1}(A \cap x(U)) \subset U [/tex] is a regular surface and by the definition its open in S.

condition 3)

Again we assume that [tex]p \in A[/tex] Next [tex] x: u \rightarrow A[/tex] where U is a subset of [tex]\mathbbb{R}^3[/tex]. next we assume that x(q) = p and that

[tex]dxq: \mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] and is thusly one-to-one.

How does this look???
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly

Register to reply