best way to produce 1 million volts dc

by reddevil2576
Tags: million, produce, volts
reddevil2576
Apr25-09, 01:52 PM
P: 54
I'm wanting to build a dc power source of 1 million volts more would be nice but ill start with a million and work my way up from there. Any suggestions would be helpufull. Is it possible to build a 1 million volt capacitor or should i build a capacitor bank to smooth out the ac current after its rectified or do you have a better suggestion for me. I'm wanting to build a coil gun with 1 million volts and not have to wait for capacitors to charge all the time just want to have a high voltage supply and fire it whenever. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
Bob S
Apr25-09, 03:05 PM
P: 4,664
There are two basic methods to get 1 million volts DC. One way is to use the Van de Graaff approach with a moving belt. An example of this are the Emporer tandems (made by High Voltage Engineering), which have exceeded 10 million volts terminal voltage. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator
The other way is to use the Cockroft-Walton (or Marx generator) approach with a stack of high voltage diodes and capacitors for voltage multiplication. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockcroft-Walton_generator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx_generator
reddevil2576
Apr25-09, 03:47 PM
i don't know much about those i'm looking for a constant dc power supply though not something i have to wait to charge back up or anything just something thats always there.

waht
Apr25-09, 05:16 PM
P: 1,636

best way to produce 1 million volts dc

Quote Quote by reddevil2576 View Post
i don't know much about those i'm looking for a constant dc power supply though not something i have to wait to charge back up or anything just something thats always there.
It's not a good idea to work with high voltage if you don't know much about it, let alone work with 1 million volts.

A rule of thumb is 10,000 volts per 1 cm of spark. At 1 million volts you will get 1 meter long sparks shooting around.

Also, regardless what way you will generate high voltage, there will always be some capacitance involved. From basic physics, the energy stored in a capacitor is proportional to voltage squared. At 1 million volts, even a relatively small internal capacitance can unload a lethal charge.
Bob S
Apr25-09, 05:38 PM
Here is a rather simple way to produce a high voltage, but not 1 million volts.

1) Assemble a parallel plate capacitor in a tank with ultra pure water as dielectric.
2) Charge up the plate to a high voltage.
3) Drain out the water.

This produces a very high voltage by decreasing the dielectric constant of the charged capacitor by a factor of about 80.
bassplayer142
Apr26-09, 03:06 PM
P: 422
Wouldn't you be drawing a ridiculous amount of power to achieve this. I would think a steady 1 million volts ps would require more then an average wall output.
reddevil2576
Apr26-09, 03:12 PM
i don't know but thats what i need to do check out my other one talking about superconductors and high voltage it talks about what i want to do down in a reply i left. i have an idea to change the world i'm going to build it but i need your guys help to get it done. i don't care what power it takes or what i have to do to do it im going to do it. if you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
dlgoff
Apr26-09, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,634
Not 1MV but they look neat. One clames to be 50KV at 5ma.
http://www.amazing1.com/hv-dc-power-supplies.htm
Bob S
Apr26-09, 10:54 PM
I have an old (40 years?) Mark Ten B CD (capacitor discharge) igniton system that can generate roughly 30 kV from less than 1 amp at 12 volts. This circuit charges a capacitor to about 300 to 400 volts using a dc-dc converter, and dumps it into the primary of a 12-volt automotive ignition coil when an electronic switch is triggered. I get 2 cm sparks (2.5 on a good day) out of it. For spark voltages over 100 kV, I think a Tesla coil would be good choice. I had a high school classmate who built a small one (about 1 meter high) for a class project (with the teacher's help).
Phrak
Apr26-09, 11:22 PM
P: 4,513
I seem to recall that air at STP can withstand about 30KV per centimeter. One million volts would require a smooth conducting ball of two foot diameter to be charged to 1MV without arcing to infinity.
berkeman
Apr27-09, 12:30 AM
Mentor
P: 39,722
Quote Quote by reddevil2576 View Post
I'm wanting to build a dc power source of 1 million volts more would be nice but ill start with a million and work my way up from there. Any suggestions would be helpufull. Is it possible to build a 1 million volt capacitor or should i build a capacitor bank to smooth out the ac current after its rectified or do you have a better suggestion for me. I'm wanting to build a coil gun with 1 million volts and not have to wait for capacitors to charge all the time just want to have a high voltage supply and fire it whenever. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
What'cha plannin' on shooting this coil gan at?
reddevil2576
Apr27-09, 02:17 AM
i'm not planning on shooting any coil gun well maybe one or two just for fun. What i'm wanting to do with it though is i have an idea for a propulsion system using this. i talk about it in my other post of superconductors and high voltage
TheAnalogKid83
Apr30-09, 02:06 PM
P: 174
Quote Quote by Bob S View Post
Here is a rather simple way to produce a high voltage, but not 1 million volts.

1) Assemble a parallel plate capacitor in a tank with ultra pure water as dielectric.
2) Charge up the plate to a high voltage.
3) Drain out the water.

This produces a very high voltage by decreasing the dielectric constant of the charged capacitor by a factor of about 80.
Are you in essence storing the potential energy that the water had from gravity into additional energy per a charge as your dielectric changes from water to air?
skeptic2
Apr30-09, 04:10 PM
P: 1,784
Go fly a kite in a thunderstorm.
DrZoidberg
May1-09, 10:37 AM
P: 371
1 million volts is way too much for a coil gun except maybe if that coil gun is as big as a house.
You only need a few thousand volts. You can build a power supply from a tv flyback transformer.
Topher925
May1-09, 11:19 AM
P: 1,672
Put 250 of THESE in series.
Newtype
May1-09, 01:44 PM
P: 39
Is there any way to increase the current of a Cockroft-Walton generator by adding tunnel diodes? I heard from someone years ago that a tunnel diode can increase current.
skeptic2
May1-09, 02:05 PM
P: 1,784
Quote Quote by Newtype View Post
Is there any way to increase the current of a Cockroft-Walton generator by adding tunnel diodes? I heard from someone years ago that a tunnel diode can increase current.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_diode

Register to reply