best way to produce 1 million volts dc

by reddevil2576
Tags: million, produce, volts
reddevil2576
Apr25-09, 01:52 PM
P: 54
I'm wanting to build a dc power source of 1 million volts more would be nice but ill start with a million and work my way up from there. Any suggestions would be helpufull. Is it possible to build a 1 million volt capacitor or should i build a capacitor bank to smooth out the ac current after its rectified or do you have a better suggestion for me. I'm wanting to build a coil gun with 1 million volts and not have to wait for capacitors to charge all the time just want to have a high voltage supply and fire it whenever. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Fiber-optic microscope will help physicians detect cancer, diseases at early stages
Wind tunnel tests support improved aerodynamic design of B61-12 bomb
Smart sensor technology to combat indoor air pollution
Bob S
Apr25-09, 03:05 PM
P: 4,664
There are two basic methods to get 1 million volts DC. One way is to use the Van de Graaff approach with a moving belt. An example of this are the Emporer tandems (made by High Voltage Engineering), which have exceeded 10 million volts terminal voltage. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator
The other way is to use the Cockroft-Walton (or Marx generator) approach with a stack of high voltage diodes and capacitors for voltage multiplication. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockcroft-Walton_generator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx_generator
reddevil2576
Apr25-09, 03:47 PM
i don't know much about those i'm looking for a constant dc power supply though not something i have to wait to charge back up or anything just something thats always there.

waht
Apr25-09, 05:16 PM
P: 1,636

best way to produce 1 million volts dc

Quote Quote by reddevil2576 View Post
i don't know much about those i'm looking for a constant dc power supply though not something i have to wait to charge back up or anything just something thats always there.
It's not a good idea to work with high voltage if you don't know much about it, let alone work with 1 million volts.

A rule of thumb is 10,000 volts per 1 cm of spark. At 1 million volts you will get 1 meter long sparks shooting around.

Also, regardless what way you will generate high voltage, there will always be some capacitance involved. From basic physics, the energy stored in a capacitor is proportional to voltage squared. At 1 million volts, even a relatively small internal capacitance can unload a lethal charge.
Bob S
Apr25-09, 05:38 PM
Here is a rather simple way to produce a high voltage, but not 1 million volts.

1) Assemble a parallel plate capacitor in a tank with ultra pure water as dielectric.
2) Charge up the plate to a high voltage.
3) Drain out the water.

This produces a very high voltage by decreasing the dielectric constant of the charged capacitor by a factor of about 80.
bassplayer142
Apr26-09, 03:06 PM
P: 422
Wouldn't you be drawing a ridiculous amount of power to achieve this. I would think a steady 1 million volts ps would require more then an average wall output.
reddevil2576
Apr26-09, 03:12 PM
i don't know but thats what i need to do check out my other one talking about superconductors and high voltage it talks about what i want to do down in a reply i left. i have an idea to change the world i'm going to build it but i need your guys help to get it done. i don't care what power it takes or what i have to do to do it im going to do it. if you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
dlgoff
Apr26-09, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,631
Not 1MV but they look neat. One clames to be 50KV at 5ma.
http://www.amazing1.com/hv-dc-power-supplies.htm
Bob S
Apr26-09, 10:54 PM
I have an old (40 years?) Mark Ten B CD (capacitor discharge) igniton system that can generate roughly 30 kV from less than 1 amp at 12 volts. This circuit charges a capacitor to about 300 to 400 volts using a dc-dc converter, and dumps it into the primary of a 12-volt automotive ignition coil when an electronic switch is triggered. I get 2 cm sparks (2.5 on a good day) out of it. For spark voltages over 100 kV, I think a Tesla coil would be good choice. I had a high school classmate who built a small one (about 1 meter high) for a class project (with the teacher's help).
Phrak
Apr26-09, 11:22 PM
P: 4,513
I seem to recall that air at STP can withstand about 30KV per centimeter. One million volts would require a smooth conducting ball of two foot diameter to be charged to 1MV without arcing to infinity.
berkeman
Apr27-09, 12:30 AM
Mentor
P: 39,575
Quote Quote by reddevil2576 View Post
I'm wanting to build a dc power source of 1 million volts more would be nice but ill start with a million and work my way up from there. Any suggestions would be helpufull. Is it possible to build a 1 million volt capacitor or should i build a capacitor bank to smooth out the ac current after its rectified or do you have a better suggestion for me. I'm wanting to build a coil gun with 1 million volts and not have to wait for capacitors to charge all the time just want to have a high voltage supply and fire it whenever. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
What'cha plannin' on shooting this coil gan at?
reddevil2576
Apr27-09, 02:17 AM
i'm not planning on shooting any coil gun well maybe one or two just for fun. What i'm wanting to do with it though is i have an idea for a propulsion system using this. i talk about it in my other post of superconductors and high voltage
TheAnalogKid83
Apr30-09, 02:06 PM
P: 174
Quote Quote by Bob S View Post
Here is a rather simple way to produce a high voltage, but not 1 million volts.

1) Assemble a parallel plate capacitor in a tank with ultra pure water as dielectric.
2) Charge up the plate to a high voltage.
3) Drain out the water.

This produces a very high voltage by decreasing the dielectric constant of the charged capacitor by a factor of about 80.
Are you in essence storing the potential energy that the water had from gravity into additional energy per a charge as your dielectric changes from water to air?
skeptic2
Apr30-09, 04:10 PM
P: 1,784
Go fly a kite in a thunderstorm.
DrZoidberg
May1-09, 10:37 AM
P: 370
1 million volts is way too much for a coil gun except maybe if that coil gun is as big as a house.
You only need a few thousand volts. You can build a power supply from a tv flyback transformer.
Topher925
May1-09, 11:19 AM
P: 1,672
Put 250 of THESE in series.
Newtype
May1-09, 01:44 PM
P: 39
Is there any way to increase the current of a Cockroft-Walton generator by adding tunnel diodes? I heard from someone years ago that a tunnel diode can increase current.
skeptic2
May1-09, 02:05 PM
P: 1,784
Quote Quote by Newtype View Post
Is there any way to increase the current of a Cockroft-Walton generator by adding tunnel diodes? I heard from someone years ago that a tunnel diode can increase current.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_diode

Register to reply