Labia minora size

by Mk
Tags: labia, minora, size
Share this thread:
Mk
May7-09, 08:27 PM
P: 2,056
In It's Your Body: A Woman's Guide to Gynecology, it states:
extensive sexual activity, be it intercourse or masturbation, will also cause the labia minora to protrude beyond the large lips. Sexual activity stretches the labia minora, just as it stretches, to some extent, the penis. For example, women of African tribes usually have very pronounced labia minora, a fact sometimes attributed to the encouragement of early sex play in these tribes. Generally speaking, the more a woman masturbates or has intercourse, the larger her small lips become.
I was very surprised to read this. After some reading, it seems that the women of African tribes having pronounced labia minora is usually due to intended manual elongation started in puberty. Is there evidence to support the claim that the labia minora will grow permanently grow larger due to arousal?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Options for weight loss your primary care doctor might not know about
Report advocates improved police training
Mice study shows efficacy of new gene therapy approach for toxin exposures
Proton Soup
May8-09, 04:38 PM
P: 1,070
i doubt it. sounds like they're practicing mechanical stretching, which isn't even close to the same thing. i would expect any baseline differences to be caused by cultural pressure leading to natural selection. i've read some of this type thing before, and i think much of it goes back to racial prejudices of early anthropologists (see the Hottentot Venus) and their views of them as highly sexualized savages.

androgenic steroids will cause clitoral enlargement, however. not sure about the rest of the package, so to speak. but the androgen levels used by female bodybuilders are quite a bit higher than the small amount of testosterone needed for normal female arousal.
Moonbear
May18-09, 12:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
This sounds more along the lines of telling boys if they masturbate, they'll go blind or grow hair on their palms. It would require something fairly unusual to stretch the labia minora extensively (I can think of some potential methods that are inappropriate to talk about here...if you're curious, turn off Google's "safe search" feature, and I'll leave it at that). There are women who have elongated labia minora, but I think it's more likely just an anatomical variation, not due to anything they've done.

Register to reply