Register to reply

Suggestion Why is the math output hard to read sometimes?

by squidsoft
Tags: None
Share this thread:
squidsoft
May16-09, 06:55 PM
P: 54
May I suggest improving the format of the math output in the forum.

Consider the following code:

[tex]
\mathop\textnormal{Res}\limits_{z=-n}\left\{\frac{\pi}{x^s\sin(\pi s)}\right\}=(-x)^n,\quad n=0,-1,-2,\cdots
[/tex]

The equal sign is not well displayed under the Res symbol and the "s" in sine is broken up. I've noticed other problems like this in general. I think PF would look more polished if the math output was nicer looking.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
phreak
May17-09, 12:23 AM
P: 149
If I recall correctly, it used to be better. I'm not sure when or why the change occurred.
DrGreg
Jun1-09, 02:46 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,843
I suspect the problem might be that the LaTeX renderer (which generates the equation images) may work on the assumption that the equations will be displayed on a white background. On a grey background, some of the pixels are too faint. Is it possible to tweak the LaTeX renderer to take account of the grey background?

chroot
Jun2-09, 04:01 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,428
Why is the math output hard to read sometimes?

Hey all,

A year ago or so, something changed in the fonts included in the normal LaTeX distributions that come with most Linux distributions. Along with it were a number of other changes that broke PF's latex system. I rewrote some of it, but never really figured out the problem with the fonts.

I will look into it more. I don't actually think it has anything to do with anti-aliasing. The images are currently anti-aliased to white, and then white is dropped out as transparent. If the strokes look correct when anti-aliased to white, it seems that changing the surrounding white pixels to transparent would not affect them. It's worth a shot, though.

- Warren
DrGreg
Jun2-09, 09:29 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by chroot View Post
Hey all,

A year ago or so, something changed in the fonts included in the normal LaTeX distributions that come with most Linux distributions. Along with it were a number of other changes that broke PF's latex system. I rewrote some of it, but never really figured out the problem with the fonts.

I will look into it more. I don't actually think it has anything to do with anti-aliasing. The images are currently anti-aliased to white, and then white is dropped out as transparent. If the strokes look correct when anti-aliased to white, it seems that changing the surrounding white pixels to transparent would not affect them. It's worth a shot, though.

- Warren
For what it's worth, I took the PNG image in post #1, on its default white background, and decreased the brightness until its background matched this thread's grey background. I think the result (attached) is therefore what you'd get if anti-aliased to grey. Slightly more legible, I think, but still not great, and I guess that's down to a poor choice of font. Or something.
Attached Thumbnails
2201627-0 darkened.png  
Moonbear
Jun4-09, 11:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Can the font be made bold, either in a default setting or when typed by the user (I never use LaTex, so don't know the ins and outs of this)? It just looks like the font is a bit thin and loses something, so if there's a way to make it bold, that might be enough to improve readability.
DrGreg
Jun4-09, 01:32 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Can the font be made bold, either in a default setting or when typed by the user (I never use LaTex, so don't know the ins and outs of this)? It just looks like the font is a bit thin and loses something, so if there's a way to make it bold, that might be enough to improve readability.
That wouldn't be a solution as such, because some equations use both bold and plain font, e.g.
[tex]\mathbf{z} = a\mathbf{x} + b\mathbf{y}[/tex]
although personally I prefer
[tex]\textbf{z} = a\textbf{x} + b\textbf{y}[/tex]
However, if you have a greater choice of font weights than just "plain" and "bold", then some slightly heavier fonts might help.
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Okay, guys... I changed some of the antialiasing behavior in Ghostscript (I turned it down!), and I think the output looks a little better now. If you could, post some troublesome LaTeX here and see if it renders better now.

- Warren
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
[tex]

\mathop\textnormal{Res}\limits_{z=-n}\left\{\frac{\pi}{x^s\sin(\pi s)}\right\}=(-x)^n,\quad n=0,-1,-2,\cdots

[/tex]
CRGreathouse
Jun4-09, 02:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,684
[tex]\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)[/tex] has a very strong summation symbol.
Attached Images

chroot
Jun4-09, 02:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
This is how it looked with the old antialiasing options:

[tex]
\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
[/tex]

- Warren
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
And now the new:

[tex]
\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
[/tex]

It's really strange that antialiasing options could even cause this in the first place.....

- Warren
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
And with no anti-aliasing at all:

[tex]
\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
[/tex]

- Warren
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Fooling around some more:

[tex]
\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
[/tex]
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Hmmm...

[tex]
\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
[/tex]
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Try try again:

[tex]
\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
[/tex]
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
[tex]

[/tex]
chroot
Jun4-09, 02:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I'm not really sure I've found a solution. I'll have to keep hunting.

[tex]

[/tex]

- Warren

Register to reply