Register to reply

Suggestion Why is the math output hard to read sometimes?

by squidsoft
Tags: None
Share this thread:
DrGreg
Jun23-09, 07:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,847
Quote Quote by chroot View Post
I personally find it very offensive that some of you are upset with me for not being compatible with a browser that I cannot even obtain anymore. I find it even more offensive that you think it's my responsibility to support you -- I'm a volunteer -- rather than your own responsibility to pressure your (paid) IT department or whatever to do their jobs and maintain your software.
It wasn't my intention to offend and I greatly appreciate the good work you put in to this site.

Despite what I've said, for me, being able to browse this site at work is a luxury I can survive without, as I do all my serious browsing and contributing from home. Nevertheless, I suspect the number of IE6s out there may be surprisingly large.

I'm at home now but I'll check out the LaTeX at work tomorrow. Thanks for your effort.

(In my experience, the function of a corporate IT department isn't to serve the employees but rather to prevent them doing what they'd like to do. In my case, the only USB keys permitted are specially crippled ones which only support a handful of document types (EXEs excluded). Sigh.)
tiny-tim
Jun24-09, 02:41 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
ooh, that looks perfect, Warren!
(for magnetic moment [itex]\bold{\mu}[/itex]):

(for magnetic moment [itex]mu[/itex]):
(compare with same text in post #64 above)

hmm let's try three over x squared now:
let's try [itex]\frac{3}{x^2}[/itex] now, and [itex]\frac{x^2}{3}[/itex] also
yup!
DrGreg
Jun24-09, 02:55 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Alright, I did some work on the LaTeX system. Those of you unfortunate enough to be using IE6, please let me know how the images look now. I suspect they will have a white, non-transparent background -- maybe not the best possible solution, but readable.
Thanks for trying, but no, they are still on a black background (screenshot attached).

For what it's worth, I googled "ie6 png transparency" and the second hit was this which describes a workaround in CSS or JavaScript. The other hits all seem to describe something similar. I don't know if you can apply such patches to your bulletin board software, and I'm not expert to fully understand what is being said. I appreciate the extreme difficulty of not being able to see the effect of any change you make!

Also, for what it's worth, apparently IE6 was, during May 2009, still the third most used browser for accessing search engines, according to this
  1. IE7 41%
  2. FF3 20%
  3. IE6 17%
  4. IE8 7%
  5. Safari 3.2 5%
Attached Thumbnails
LaTeX on IE6 sample.png  
Redbelly98
Jun24-09, 06:20 PM
Mentor
P: 12,069
Quote Quote by DrGreg View Post
Also, for what it's worth, apparently IE6 was, during May 2009, still the third most used browser for accessing search engines, according to this
  1. IE7 41%
  2. FF3 20%
  3. IE6 17%
  4. IE8 7%
  5. Safari 3.2 5%
I think we can expect the IE6 number to drop as time goes on (and for IE8 to rise). In fact, there is no way for the # of IE6 users to rise as it is impossible for new computers to get IE6. Food for thought: the same website lists IE5 at just 0.07%.

Is it reasonable for Warren to bang his head against the wall over this when, a year from now, IE6 may be nowhere near the Top 5 Browsers list?
Count Iblis
Jun24-09, 09:23 PM
P: 2,157
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
I think we can expect the IE6 number to drop as time goes on (and for IE8 to rise). In fact, there is no way for the # of IE6 users to rise as it is impossible for new computers to get IE6. Food for thought: the same website lists IE5 at just 0.07%.

Is it reasonable for Warren to bang his head against the wall over this when, a year from now, IE6 may be nowhere near the Top 5 Browsers list?

There are many people in third world countries who are running Windows 95 or Windows 98 on old computers. They will be running the highest version of IE that their machine is capable of running, and that will be IE6. So, IE6 will stabilize at some level close to what it is now.
Hans de Vries
Jun24-09, 09:46 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,135
Quote Quote by Count Iblis View Post
There are many people in third world countries who are running Windows 95 or Windows 98 on old computers. They will be running the highest version of IE that their machine is capable of running, and that will be IE6. So, IE6 will stabilize at some level close to what it is now.
Windows 95 and Windows 98 together would be well below 1%
Even Windows 2000 is dropping below 1% now.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-m....aspx?qprid=11

Regards, Hans
Greg Bernhardt
Jun25-09, 01:43 AM
Admin
P: 9,511
12% of PF users are viewing via IE6

Less than 1% are using Windows 98 or 95.
gmax137
Jun25-09, 07:03 AM
P: 855
...I personally find it very offensive that some of you are upset with me for not being compatible with a browser that I cannot even obtain anymore. I find it even more offensive that you think it's my responsibility to support you -- I'm a volunteer -- rather than your own responsibility to pressure your (paid) IT department or whatever to do their jobs and maintain your software.

- Warren
Warren if I am one that offended you, please accept a sincere apology. I certainly am not 'upset' with you or anything you do - and I don't feel you or any of the others involved in making PF work owe me anything. You are doing a tremendous service to me and all the other users at the forum.

Thanks
Gregg
CRGreathouse
Jun25-09, 07:11 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,684
I would be bothered by it more were it not for the fact that browsers that can display PNGs correctly are freely available (Firefox, Opera, etc.).
g_edgar
Jun25-09, 12:56 PM
P: 607
Quote Quote by dx View Post
It's very light. I can hardly see this: [itex] e^{\ln x} = 7 [/itex].
Is there a philosophical objection to a white background?
Redbelly98
Jun25-09, 01:19 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by g_edgar View Post
Is there a philosophical objection to a white background?
Yes. Since a white background doesn't match the surrounding background, every LaTex image gets this white rectangle surrounding it. It looks very unprofessional -- we had this problem for a while last fall.

For an example, check out http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=267150
CRGreathouse
Jun25-09, 04:07 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,684
What about setting the background to #E3E3E3 with transparency 254 (or opaqueness 1; I don't remember the right terminology)? Or is the mere presence of an alpha layer enough to make IE6 display the color as gray?
g_edgar
Jun26-09, 07:50 AM
P: 607
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
Yes. Since a white background doesn't match the surrounding background, every LaTex image gets this white rectangle surrounding it. It looks very unprofessional -- we had this problem for a while last fall.
No, I mean the entire message area with white background. Of course you don't want the formula background different than the rest of the message background.

If your newspaper published on gray-colored paper like this, it would be less legible, I think. Paper that is brighter white is more expensive, because (among other reasons) the resulting printouts are more legible. But on a web page, we can use any color we want for the same price!
Redbelly98
Jun26-09, 08:24 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by g_edgar View Post
No, I mean the entire message area with white background. Of course you don't want the formula background different than the rest of the message background.

If your newspaper published on gray-colored paper like this, it would be less legible, I think. Paper that is brighter white is more expensive, because (among other reasons) the resulting printouts are more legible. But on a web page, we can use any color we want for the same price!
Okay, now I understand what you meant. Sorry.

Greg would be a better person to answer the question about having a white background at PF.
DrGreg
Jun28-09, 03:01 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
It looks like ITEX might be shaving the top row of pixels off the image

ITEX: [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] but [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

TEX: [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] but [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Or does ITEX deliberately treat square roots that way?
jackiefrost
Jul15-09, 06:32 PM
P: 137
I know the black background problem with IE6 is an old, stale, issue but... my place of employment won't upgrade and Firefox doesn't work correctly on the network (ours) BUT - I found to my delight that Google Chrome doesn't get me in trouble with the IT ppl and displays Latex beautifully. Hallelu...I forget how to spell it :)

So - the moral to the story is - don't forget to try installing Chrome if you're stuck with IE6.

(Don't ask why we're messing with PF at work ;-)
jf
n!kofeyn
Jul18-09, 10:00 PM
P: 538
I've noticed that the Art of Problem Solving forum's LaTeX is much easier to read and seems to automatically output inline with text. Is there any way you could look into how they render their LaTeX?
robphy
Jul19-09, 01:03 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,130
Quote Quote by n!kofeyn View Post
I've noticed that the Art of Problem Solving forum's LaTeX is much easier to read and seems to automatically output inline with text. Is there any way you could look into how they render their LaTeX?
They output rendered equations as .gif.

Register to reply