How do I calculate acceleration with a mass of Zero

by casio69
Tags: acceleration, mass
Share this thread:
casio69
May17-09, 09:02 AM
P: 2
Hi all,

If I have an object with zero mass in a vacume and apply say 1n of force to the object how
can I calculate its acceleration, and current speed at any time?

Thanks all.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Vanadium 50
May17-09, 09:04 AM
Mentor
P: 16,385
You can't. You'll have a division by zero.
cragar
May17-09, 09:16 AM
P: 2,466
all massless particles travel at the speed of light.

belliott4488
May17-09, 09:30 AM
P: 666
How do I calculate acceleration with a mass of Zero

As Vanadium50 pointed out, a = F/m gets you in trouble. You can understand this more clearly by considering what happens if you apply this same force to a succession of increasingly smaller masses. Look at the curve of a = F/m (a hyperbola), and you see that the lighter the mass, the higher the acceleration, which goes to infinity as the mass goes to zero.

That's the nonrelativistic answer, i.e. what Newton would have told you. Cragar's response comes from Einstein's Theory of Relativity, where there are no infinite speeds (or accelerations). The speed of light is the absolute speed limit, so massless particles must all move at that speed (they can't ever be at rest, or they would appear to be moving at a speed less than c to some observers).
casio69
May17-09, 07:28 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by belliott4488 View Post
As Vanadium50 pointed out, a = F/m gets you in trouble. You can understand this more clearly by considering what happens if you apply this same force to a succession of increasingly smaller masses. Look at the curve of a = F/m (a hyperbola), and you see that the lighter the mass, the higher the acceleration, which goes to infinity as the mass goes to zero.

That's the nonrelativistic answer, i.e. what Newton would have told you. Cragar's response comes from Einstein's Theory of Relativity, where there are no infinite speeds (or accelerations). The speed of light is the absolute speed limit, so massless particles must all move at that speed (they can't ever be at rest, or they would appear to be moving at a speed less than c to some observers).
thanks. I was getting a div zero, and needed a fix for it. I also don't subscribe to the absolute speed limit thing. I need a formula that ignores the speed of light and gives me the acceleration and speed of a mass-less object.

Basically I need a way of working out the following scenrio.

An object with a mass of say 10kg is sat in geo stationary orbit.
The object has a way to reduce it's mass to zero.
It applies some thrust say 1n for 1 second
It then returns to normal mass
How far has it traveled?
cesiumfrog
May17-09, 07:53 PM
P: 2,051
Quote Quote by casio69 View Post
I also don't subscribe to the absolute speed limit thing. [....]
Fail.

(How were you going to push so hard against something that doesn't resist being pushed against, anyway?)
Pengwuino
May17-09, 07:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Basically I need a way of working out the following scenrio.

An object with a mass of say 10kg is sat in geo stationary orbit.
The object has a way to reduce it's mass to zero.
It applies some thrust say 1n for 1 second
It then returns to normal mass
How far has it traveled?
The laws of physics will fail if you intentionally make them fail. What more do you want? If you want to pretend the laws of physics need not apply, your object has traveled to the planet infinity. Or it fell to the ground. Who knows? You make up the rules.
russ_watters
May17-09, 08:23 PM
Mentor
P: 22,303
I also don't subscribe to the absolute speed limit thing. I need a formula that ignores the speed of light and gives me the acceleration and speed of a mass-less object.
If you choose to ignore the laws of physics, then you can do anything you want (just ask superman!)....except speculate about it on this forum. On this forum, we deal only in reality. Thread locked.

Register to reply