strength of square tubing

by antzgarcia
Tags: square, strength, tubing
antzgarcia
May19-09, 07:34 AM
P: 4
I am building a motorcycle trailer. I have 2 x 2 square tubing that is about 1/16 thick and it will be about 6 and 1/2 foot long the trailer will need to hold 433 that is how much my motorcycle weighs. Does any know of a site or somewere that I may find this information so that I can start on it. i just need to find out the weight that it will hold please post a site if you know one thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
antzgarcia
May19-09, 11:15 PM
please does someone know were i can find out this information.
minger
May20-09, 07:48 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,498
If you draw us a picture, it might be quit helpful. In fact, you'll probably get some very useful information and numbers with a decent picture.

antzgarcia
May20-09, 05:35 PM

strength of square tubing

how would i post a picture the only drawings I have are in auto CAD?
mooktank
May21-09, 06:56 AM
P: 41
Quote Quote by antzgarcia View Post
how would i post a picture the only drawings I have are in auto CAD?
CTRL + SHIFT + PRNT SCRN (takes a snapshot of your screen)

paste into MS paint and save as a JPEG
minger
May21-09, 08:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,498
Or I believe you can just straight export to a picture file. I haven't used AutoCad in years, but most solid modelers will let you export to a variety of image formats.
FredGarvin
May21-09, 08:14 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
or print it to a PDF and post it here.
Mech_Engineer
May21-09, 09:09 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234
Keep in mind that the weight on the trailer will not just be the static weight of the bike, since while you're driving the bike will be subject to accelerations of perhaps 2-3g's. You'll want the trailer to be designed with a significant built-in safety factor. You'll also need to know more about the tubing you're using, specifically what material it is ("steel" won't be specific enough).
nvn
May21-09, 09:42 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,110
antzgarcia: I agree with mooktank except only press Alt + PrtSc; then paste to Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint (which is MS Paint), and save as a .png file. (jpeg is for photographs; png is for graphics.)

A dynamic amplification factor of 3 sounds good, probably. If you don't know more about your steel tube material, we could assume mild steel.
antzgarcia
May22-09, 12:20 PM
I have uploaded the pictures and here is the link for my torsion axles and also the trailer that I have been using as a guide line some what the thing is they are to expensive so i am just going to build one.

http://www.roromotorcycletrailers.co.uk/

http://ucfamerica.com/flexhalf.html
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled 2.jpg   Untitled 3.jpg   Untitled.jpg  
nvn
May23-09, 01:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,110
antzgarcia: I notice the half axle you are using is also a shock absorber. I think the minimum dynamic amplification we should use is daf = 2.50. And I think the minimum yield factor of safety we could use is FS = 1.70. We will see if anyone disagrees. Therefore, your square tube wall thickness is too thin for the rear beam spanning across your trailer. Using the above minimum factors and mild steel, you would need a rear beam wall thickness of t = 6.35 mm. However, using daf = 3.0 and FS = 2.0 would give you a rear beam wall thickness of t = 12.7 mm. If you could state the material specification of your square tubes, it might affect the answers.

Register to reply