by LydiaAC
Tags: contact, diode, junction, point, semiconductor
Share this thread:
LydiaAC
May24-09, 12:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 49
Hello everybody:
It is known that point contact diodes were an antecedent of PN junction diodes.
I have read that they got their rectification properties from the fact that the metal in the point doped the semiconductor and formed a PN junction.
However, it is known that you can rectify with a metal-semiconductor junction, so I have not a good feeling about this explanation.
Is it possible that the configuration of a semiconductor with a point contact in a side and an ohmic contact in the other, have rectifying properties by itself?
I was trying to figure out if this could be possible, to no avail. I would like to hear to somebody who know about this thing by experience.
LydiaAC
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Organic photovoltaic cells of the future: Charge formation efficiency used to screen materials
Promising ferroelectric materials suffer from unexpected electric polarizations
Structure of certain types of beetle shells could inspire brighter, whiter coatings and materials

Register to reply