Finding y in a projectile motion problem

by jenador
Tags: motion, projectile
Share this thread:
jenador
May27-09, 06:57 PM
P: 13
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A golfer hits a shot to a green that is elevated 4.0 m above the point where the ball is struck. The ball leaves the club at a speed of 15.0 m/s at an angle of 40.0 above the horizontal, which is the +x axis. It rises in the +y direction to its maximum height and then falls down to the green. Ignore air resistance.

What is the algebraic expression for the y component vy of the ball's velocity just before landing on the green? Calculate for the y component vy using this equation.

known:
v(initial)=15.0m/s
a_x= 0
a_y= 9.8 m/s^2
v_x (initial) = cos40*15 = +11.5 m/s

2. Relevant equations

i thought it would be v^2=v(initial)^2 + 2ay rearranged to solve for just v(y direction). therefore: square root of v(initial)^2 + 2ay.
y being the distance in the vertical direction.

also: for v(initial) i took the sin40*15 to get 9.6 m/s.

3. The attempt at a solution
when i plug this into my homework website, it tells me i am wrong. but this is the only kinematic that i can think of using only v(initial), y displacement, and acceleration. what's wrong with my equation?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
rock.freak667
May27-09, 07:24 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
What value did you get? Did you use [itex]v_y^2=(v_0)^2_y+2ay[/itex] or [itex]v_y^2=(v_0)^2_y-2ay[/itex] ?
jenador
May27-09, 07:36 PM
i used the equation LaTeX Code: v_y^2=(v_0)^2_y-2ay and rearranged it so it would be sqtroot(v(initial)^2 + 2ay). i think i got like -8.9 m/s, but the website told me i was wrong.

jenador
May27-09, 07:37 PM
Finding y in a projectile motion problem

by the way i have to write it in a way solving for just v_y
rock.freak667
May27-09, 07:58 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
Quote Quote by jenador View Post
i used the equation LaTeX Code: v_y^2=(v_0)^2_y-2ay and rearranged it so it would be sqtroot(v(initial)^2 + 2ay). i think i got like -8.9 m/s, but the website told me i was wrong.
v=final
u=inital

if you use v2=u2+2ay then you are saying that acceleration is acting upwards. The only acceleration in this question is gravity which acts downwards.So, you'd need to use v2=u2-2ay

Register to reply