May30-09, 10:06 AM
P: 1,863
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Hi all.

Lets say I have a complex power series given by

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_nz^n,
[/tex]

where z is a complex number and c is a complex constant. Inside its circle of convergence, I can differentiate it leading to

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_nnz^{n-1} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+1)c_{n+1}nz^{n}.
[/tex]

If I want to find the circle of convergence for this series, then I can use the ratio test

[tex]
\frac{1}{R} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 1} }}{{a_n }}} \right|.
[/tex]

I have two questions for this:

Question #1: Does the ratio test give me the same answer regardless of I substitute e.g. n -> n+3? I.e., is it correct that

[tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 1} }}{{a_n }}} \right| = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 3} }}{{a_{n + 2} }}} \right|.
[/tex]

Personally, I think it does not matter, because we let n go to infinity.

Question #2: Does the ratio test only work for power series that go from n=0 to infinity, or do they also work if n start at e.g. 1 or -1?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Niles.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
snipez90
May30-09, 11:50 AM
P: 1,105
Well the ratio test is typically derived from comparison to a geometric series. Moreover, one way to derive the comparison test is based on the monotone convergence theorem applied to partial sums. So I think you're right on both counts since only long term behavior matters. Especially for question 2, remember that including or excluding a finite number of terms in an infinite series does not affect convergence.
tiny-tim
May30-09, 01:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,151
Hi Niles!
Quote Quote by Niles View Post
Question #1: Does the ratio test give me the same answer regardless of I substitute e.g. n -> n+3? I.e., is it correct that

[tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 1} }}{{a_n }}} \right| = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 3} }}{{a_{n + 2} }}} \right|.
[/tex]

Personally, I think it does not matter, because we let n go to infinity.

Question #2: Does the ratio test only work for power series that go from n=0 to infinity, or do they also work if n start at e.g. 1 or -1?
Your intuitive suspicions are completely correct

limiting behaviour is only affected "near" the limit

what happens at the other end doesn't matter!

So yes, to both #1 and #2.

Register to reply