Register to reply

Are prime fractals, or have a fractal geometry ?

by zetafunction
Tags: fractal, fractals, geometry, prime
Share this thread:
zetafunction
Jun2-09, 05:19 AM
P: 399
my idea is, if we consider the geometry of primes could we conclude they form a fractal ? , for example if we represent all the primes using a computer, it will give us a fractal pattern.

according to a paper http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/chao-dyn/p.../9406003v1.pdf

zeta function (which is just a product of primes for s >1) could be a fractal, but how about primes ??
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
CRGreathouse
Jun2-09, 11:50 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,684
In what sense are you saying the primes are (or may be) fractals? Are they self-similar? Do they have non-integer dimension?
zetafunction
Jun2-09, 02:07 PM
P: 399
my question is, if we use the Sieve of Eratosthenes.. for big scales (let us say 1000000000000000000000000 primes or similar) then the picture drawn is a fractal, for example.

Dragonfall
Jun3-09, 04:10 PM
P: 993
Are prime fractals, or have a fractal geometry ?

If I interpret your question correctly: no, they don't, because of the prime number theorem.
Rogerdoger
Nov18-09, 09:21 AM
P: 1
Quote Quote by zetafunction View Post
my idea is, if we consider the geometry of primes could we conclude they form a fractal ? , for example if we represent all the primes using a computer, it will give us a fractal pattern.

according to a paper http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/chao-dyn/p.../9406003v1.pdf

zeta function (which is just a product of primes for s >1) could be a fractal, but how about primes ??
This is an amazing question, was thinking about it last night. PGP and Gnupg both use prime numbers to generate the keys. If the Mandelbrot fractal pattern that Mandelbrot saw in the noise in the network lines is the same as the fractal's chaotic patterns we see then hummmmmmmmm....this is a good very good question, did you get an answer yet?

Register to reply